"Obstacle Run In Armour"

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

"Obstacle Run In Armour"

Post by Zaune »

A professor of medieval history and HEMA expert in a suit of historically accurate Late Middle Ages plate armour goes up against a firefighter carrying his full BA rig and entry tools and an infantryman wearing his full combat loadout on a Swiss Army assault course. The results would surprise people who don't know a lot about medieval armour.

The people who made the above video are the same ones behind this one, in which the guy in the armour follows the fitness regimen of Jean "Boucicaut" Le Maingre. Surprisingly, they resisted the urge to add any music from the Rocky films to this one.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Re: "Obstacle Run In Armour"

Post by Zor »

A thing to take note is that having a backpack is a factor here. It means you have less to worry about when your are crawling through stuff.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Yeah, I'd have liked to see the Knight have a sword at his hip at least. The point still stands that plate armor was, if well fitted, balanced and comfortable.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Surprisingly, they resisted the urge to add any music from the Rocky films to this one.
That's an instrumental version of "Eye of the tiger" from Rocky III playing during the full gear run. :D

Impressive film. Armor makers knew there craft.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Deathstalker wrote: 2018-09-05 11:28pm
Surprisingly, they resisted the urge to add any music from the Rocky films to this one.
That's an instrumental version of "Eye of the tiger" from Rocky III playing during the full gear run. :D

Impressive film. Armor makers knew there craft.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the exercise video, not the one that was embedded in the OP.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Jub wrote: 2018-09-05 11:30pmI'm pretty sure he's talking about the exercise video, not the one that was embedded in the OP.
Correct. Sorry, I should have worded it better.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It's a pretty cool demo, but I do wonder about why put one guy in a backpack instead of webgear which is far more comparable with how the other two are equipped.

No surprise to me the knight moved well, it's kinda obvious that even the heaviest battlefield full plate armor couldn't be that crippling it would have been abandon hard once mercenaries came to dominate European warfare, instead of actually reaching it's peak. But a lot of people insist on believing random claims from 100 years ago recycled from books 100 years earlier about this.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-09-15 06:07pm
No surprise to me the knight moved well, it's kinda obvious that even the heaviest battlefield full plate armor couldn't be that crippling it would have been abandon hard once mercenaries came to dominate European warfare, instead of actually reaching it's peak. But a lot of people insist on believing random claims from 100 years ago recycled from books 100 years earlier about this.
Unfortunately, initial false impressions tend to be better remembered than later corrections so if people hear nonsense like knights needed cranes to mount their horses then that's what they tend to remember.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-09-15 06:07pmIt's a pretty cool demo, but I do wonder about why put one guy in a backpack instead of webgear which is far more comparable with how the other two are equipped.
To establish a baseline for the course time, maybe? That's probably the same kit that recruits run that course in during Basic.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Interesting, although a far better test would be to have the same guy testing each of the 3 types of gear. Because now it's just as much of a test between the runners rather than the things they wear. I'm so out of a shape I'd probably end last while just wearing a training suit, but that doesn't mean that a training suit is worse than a medieval armour
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

wautd wrote: 2018-09-24 04:32am Interesting, although a far better test would be to have the same guy testing each of the 3 types of gear. Because now it's just as much of a test between the runners rather than the things they wear. I'm so out of a shape I'd probably end last while just wearing a training suit, but that doesn't mean that a training suit is worse than a medieval armour

I'm pretty sure a firefighter and a soldier are (at least) equally good in shape as a professor of medieval history that does some HEMA in his spare time...
To be honest, I think that is part of the demonstration - both his opponents are much better in shape due to their job, and wear their full gear on a much more regular basis than he does. That's why you had the baseline comparison in light load - the HEMA guy lost to both (or scored a draw to the firefighter, it was close.)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

There didn't seem to be a noticeable fitness gap between the three of them. That said, a completely gearless run in plain athletic clothes would have made for a nice baseline so we could get a real feel for any fitness or course knowledge differences between the participants.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

LaCroix wrote: 2018-09-24 08:08amI'm pretty sure a firefighter and a soldier are (at least) equally good in shape as a professor of medieval history that does some HEMA in his spare time...
The HEMA stuff isn't something this guy does as a hobby. He's contributed to several academic papers on the topic, including the one mentioned in the credits of the second video.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

LaCroix wrote: 2018-09-24 08:08am
wautd wrote: 2018-09-24 04:32am Interesting, although a far better test would be to have the same guy testing each of the 3 types of gear. Because now it's just as much of a test between the runners rather than the things they wear. I'm so out of a shape I'd probably end last while just wearing a training suit, but that doesn't mean that a training suit is worse than a medieval armour

I'm pretty sure a firefighter and a soldier are (at least) equally good in shape as a professor of medieval history that does some HEMA in his spare time...
To be honest, I think that is part of the demonstration - both his opponents are much better in shape due to their job, and wear their full gear on a much more regular basis than he does. That's why you had the baseline comparison in light load - the HEMA guy lost to both (or scored a draw to the firefighter, it was close.)
Pretty sure does not make an objective assessment. The ex president of our company basically has a desk job, but has run a marathon in his free time.