Movie or TV episode about Otto von Bismarck

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Movie or TV episode about Otto von Bismarck

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

This is a bit of a random request, but seems like the kind of thing I'd be able to turn up by asking you lot.

So, I have a vague memory of a movie or TV episode/miniseries that I watched in one of my history classes in high school (which was early 2000s, to give you an upper bound on the date of the movie I'm looking for). It was about Otto von Bismarck and the unification of Germany, and I believe may have ended with the Franco-Prussian War (though the details are hazy so I might be wrong on that). There is only one thing that really stands out particularly strong in my memory of this movie: there is a scene where Bismarck and Wilhelm I are arguing about whether or not his title should be "German Emperor" or "Emperor of Germany". In my memory, the scene is almost farcical, with Bismarck stamping his foot and essentially throwing a tantrum, as the two of them shout at each other "GERMAN EMPEROR!" "EMPEROR OF GERMANY!!". I also vaguely recall a scene with Wilhelm stammering "But.... but France! Napoleon!!!" but can't recall the exact context.

Does anybody have any idea what this might be? I know this is a pretty vague description, but I was hoping it might strike a chord with someone here. I haven't been able to find much through casual Googling. The closest I've come is finding an episode of an old British TV miniseries called "Fall of Eagles", which was about the subject, and watching a bit on YouTube it looks a bit like how I remember it, but I wasn't able to find the scene I was thinking of.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Movie or TV episode about Otto von Bismarck

Post by Iroscato »

Best I can find is Bismarck - a mini-series made in 1990.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098753/

Hope that helps.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)