Irish American Racism

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Irish American Racism

Post by Darth Yan »

I've read a lot of things about the subject (how the irish and blacks in new york at the turn of the century hated each other). What I want to know is why it started, how widespread it was (given that 38% of all blacks in America have irish dna it's safe to assume there was some intermingling) and how exactly did it come to an end (since the blacks and irish don't hate each other as much now.)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Irish American Racism

Post by madd0ct0r »

Blacks? Surely you meant italians and jews?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

And Chinese too.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

The shortest answer I can come up with is that a lot of the animosity back then was due to them competing for the same work, since they occupied about the same level of the social ladder.

As for it ending, I wouldn't say that it has. It's certainly declined, in the same way that racism in general is less prevalent in certain circles, but it is still very much alive. It's more that eventually the Irish were permitted entry into the White People Club, so the Irish racist was absorbed under the banner of the White racist.