Good Books about 18th century warfare?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Good Books about 18th century warfare?

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Heya,

For a comparative history paper on “The Changing Nature of 18th Century warfare”, I need two “heavily annotated, scholarly publications” on the subject. I had hastily bought one – “To Rule the Waves” by Authur Herman”, which only briefly focuses on the 18th century…but at that time I was just trying to live up to a book deadline.

Does anybody know of scholarly books available for an attainable price? Also it would be nice if the book were a good read…I like history and would appreciate it if I actually learned something from this last minute assignment. Thanks!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Good Books about 18th century warfare?

Post by Simon_Jester »

I assume you still have enough time to actually read the books?

My suggestion is to go to your actual university library and browse its history shelves. If you're reduced to "whatever's available," then...

1) You waited too long, and
2) It is far more helpful for us to tell you where to look than to just arbitrarily name books.

I'm guessing you're supposed to be comparing early and late 18th century warfare. Is your thesis on a specific thing? If so, you'll need to choose appropriate context- say, books on naval warfare in particular.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Laudon
Redshirt

Re: Good Books about 18th century warfare?

Post by Laudon »

I could recommend Christopher Duffy´s Military experience in the Age of Reason, or his other works on prussian or austrian armies (Instrument of war, By force of arms or The Army of Frederick the Great).