"Off with his head?"

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

"Off with his head?"

Post by Kitsune »

There are some movies / books where scenes are that the leader order executions
Afterwards, instead of being executed, they are spirited away to wait until the ruler forgets their order
Did anything like that ever happen historically?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: "Off with his head?"

Post by Simon_Jester »

On a national level, a lot of Germans quietly ignored Hitler's orders to wage scorched earth tactics against the advancing Allies and did NOT destroy infrastructure to deny it to the enemy- because they figured that one, Germany was about to lose and was going to need it in vaguely intact condition, and two, Hitler would be dead soon enough that it wouldn't matter.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Simon_Jester wrote:On a national level, a lot of Germans quietly ignored Hitler's orders to wage scorched earth tactics against the advancing Allies and did NOT destroy infrastructure to deny it to the enemy- because they figured that one, Germany was about to lose and was going to need it in vaguely intact condition, and two, Hitler would be dead soon enough that it wouldn't matter.
At least Albert Speer went around the rapidly shrinking Reich and talked to higher-ranking officers and officials, trying to get them to ignore Hitler's orders of reducing Germany to the state of medieval ruins. I do suspect, though, that many had already decided on that course of action or would have done so even without Speer telling them that destroying every bit of infrastructure in Germany would be something of a stupid idea. However, I don't think that qualifies entirely, according to the OP, since Hitler definitively did not forget those orders, he was simply at the end incapable of executing people who were not in his immediate sphere of influence or somehow connected to his bunker.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Then again you have examples like Dietrich von Choltitz, who allegedly refused to burn Paris on Hitler's orders when the allies approached.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Tiriol wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:On a national level, a lot of Germans quietly ignored Hitler's orders to wage scorched earth tactics against the advancing Allies and did NOT destroy infrastructure to deny it to the enemy- because they figured that one, Germany was about to lose and was going to need it in vaguely intact condition, and two, Hitler would be dead soon enough that it wouldn't matter.
At least Albert Speer went around the rapidly shrinking Reich and talked to higher-ranking officers and officials, trying to get them to ignore Hitler's orders of reducing Germany to the state of medieval ruins. I do suspect, though, that many had already decided on that course of action or would have done so even without Speer telling them that destroying every bit of infrastructure in Germany would be something of a stupid idea. However, I don't think that qualifies entirely, according to the OP, since Hitler definitively did not forget those orders, he was simply at the end incapable of executing people who were not in his immediate sphere of influence or somehow connected to his bunker.
I was under the impression that at least in the western sphere Speer's efforts to reduce damage to infrastructure were done with Hitler's agreement. I recall efforts to make bridges unusable, but not destroyed.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Where is that from?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

The Wages of Destruction, perhaps I am misremembering.