Freshwater in the Lesser Antilles

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Zirojtan
Youngling

Freshwater in the Lesser Antilles

Post by Zirojtan »

Does anybody know how the Native Americans of the Lesser Antilles gathered their freshwater? Did they just set out containers made of calabash to catch rain, are there river systems on most islands, what? Because some of those islands are really small, and I can imagine freshwater being a problem for them, but I'm really having trouble finding any info on this online.
Deuxglass
Redshirt

Re: Freshwater in the Lesser Antilles

Post by Deuxglass »

I lived in the Lesser Antilles for 5 years (Guadeloupe). Many of these islands are mountainous and therefore are well-watered with numerous year-round streams. On the flat islands it rains much less and the water does go staight underground because of the limestone but it does rain enough to produce springs in certain places and of course these are one ones inhabited from a very early date. They also had pottery to store water. The very small islands without water were just occasionally visited and presumely they brought water with them. Wells were not used as far as is known as of now.
In short, if your water needs are moderate, you can find it. You can even dig a hole on the beach and since the fresh water lies on top of fresh water in the water table, the hole will fill with sweet water quickly ( I have tested it).

I hope this helps you.
Zirojtan
Youngling

Re: Freshwater in the Lesser Antilles

Post by Zirojtan »

That was very helpful, thank you.