Possibly the ~best~ civil war battles vid on Youtube.

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Possibly the ~best~ civil war battles vid on Youtube.

Post by Vehrec »

I love how many o the comments are butt hurt about how CrashCourse isn't doing their precious battlefields justice by listing every single battle of the war, many of which I have never heard of.

Next week, they'll release the serious Civil War video.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
moglwi
Redshirt

Re: Possibly the ~best~ civil war battles vid on Youtube.

Post by moglwi »

how can they be producing vids on US history the country was born in war defined itself through the Civil war?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you upset that people are trying to teach the history of the USA?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

I think he's upset that they're not glorifying the battles and that they routinely ignore things like what generals were where in favor of talking about things like 'The US strategy in the War of 1812 was Pants on head stupid' or 'The US government totally created the Mexican war'.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

moglwi wrote:how can they be producing vids on US history the country was born in war defined itself through the Civil war?
How can you post what looks so much like a sentence but is actually an unintelligible string of words?
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Relvenous wrote:
moglwi wrote:how can they be producing vids on US history the country was born in war defined itself through the Civil war?
How can you post what looks so much like a sentence but is actually an unintelligible string of words?
I think what he is trying to say is something on the lines of "USA had an independence war and later definied itself via a civil war and therefore we should not be teaching or discussing it's history at all" or at least that's the impression I got.

Obviously it doesn't help that his post is less of a sentence and more of a string of words.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Actually I think the major problem is that even if you translate what he said into that, which seems to be English, t still makes precisely no sense.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Alkaloid wrote:Actually I think the major problem is that even if you translate what he said into that, which seems to be English, t still makes precisely no sense.
well english isn't my first language so my "translation" is a bit iffy at best, but the way I understood him was that he was essentially saying "USA is evil to the core and it's history is not worthy of study", if I understood that wrong please be free to correct me, but also please remember I'm capable of working only of the material I got so if you're orginal post wasn't clear enough on the subject it's not my fault.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

No no, you're good. From what I can tell the original sentence meant more or less what you typed, but it implies that war is so integral to the history of the united states that none of the rest of the united states history is worth studying/in any way meaningful. Which is a correct sentence, it's just an incredibly stupid thing to say
moglwi
Redshirt

Post by moglwi »

I am glad that my semi drnken rabling provided some amusment to you all. I ws actully commenting on the youtube vids strange desire to not seem to want to talk about the US involvment in war when it birth ws in war nd one of it defining moments was the cival war Hope that is more understandble
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

moglwi wrote:I am glad that my semi drnken rabling provided some amusment to you all. I ws actully commenting on the youtube vids strange desire to not seem to want to talk about the US involvment in war when it birth ws in war nd one of it defining moments was the cival war Hope that is more understandble
Because, as the video makers say, themselves, war itself isn't that interesting apart from the question "who won". It's more interesting to look at "what events lead to the war", "what did A and B try to achieve", "why exactly did A win", "what was the result of A winning".

Of course, talking about this or that battle and why they went as they did can be interesting, but 99% of encounters in a war are simple examples of "stronger force (in the sense of numbers, equipment, morale or a combination thereof) won", "better tactical position won the day", or good old "they got lucky". In the bigger picture, most happening in war are mere statistics of foregone conclusions, with occasional surprises.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Okay, fine you big babies, have an actual Civil War video, geez.