Re: WWII US Army Policy forbidding repatriation of bodies

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

During WWII, there was a policy forbidding repatriation of bodies for soldiers of all ranks. What was the specific policy and what was the reason for it? Also: was it just Army of the United States, or did it also include USN/Marines etc?
XXXI
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Re: WWII US Army Policy forbidding repatriation of bodie

Post by Zaune »

The reason for it strikes me as fairly obvious; logistics. Too many casualties per day, too few ships with refrigerated holds to carry them, not enough resources to spare for embalming or a lead-lined coffin.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Lead lined coffin, whats that about?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Aaron MkII wrote:Lead lined coffin, whats that about?
Lots of deaths by chemicals and radiation you wouldn't want seeping back into the ground, at a guess.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, it's a method of insuring that contaminants don't leak out alright; any metal will work, in fact I believe zinc is used more than lead these days because it's cheaper, but any coffin being transported long-distance needs to be airtight and that's easier to achieve with metal than with wood.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Had to be logistics - nothing traveled as fast back then, travel to/from combat zones was hazardous so risking pilots/ships to move dead bodies wasn't sensible, and just sheer numbers of dead people. Getting the wounded back home was a logistical nightmare, much less the dead.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Frankly, shipping a living soldier home so that he could become an instructor would save lives, too. And families of the dead would always be able to arrange for repatriation of the bodies after the war - after all, the entire point was to liberate Europe.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Moved - very interesting topic that deserved to be saved.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PeZook wrote:And families of the dead would always be able to arrange for repatriation of the bodies after the war - after all, the entire point was to liberate Europe.
Most of them didn't, though - dead Americans were buried by the thousands in Europe and Asia and never came home. There are a couple dozen overseas American military cemeteries.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I know, it's just that there's all the time in the world to do that once the shooting's over, and it's not like American war graves are desecrated or disrespected anyways. Well, not in Europe at least - I have no idea what the attitudes are towards them in the far east.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The US government in most cases (maybe all, I'm not sure) pays for the upkeep and maintenance of those overseas cemeteries. On the other hand, it won't pay for the buried service personnel to be dug up and transported home, which costs tens of thousands and it can be difficult to arrange through civilian means (though not impossible - some people do go through the trouble). Thus, particularly for the middle and lower class, the financial cost of bringing home the fallen becomes quite an obstacle, even an insurmountable one.

For recent wars the military has brought the fallen home, but the numbers are much lower than in WWII.

So far as I know the overseas American cemeteries are respected.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Broomstick wrote:The US government in most cases (maybe all, I'm not sure) pays for the upkeep and maintenance of those overseas cemeteries. On the other hand, it won't pay for the buried service personnel to be dug up and transported home, which costs tens of thousands and it can be difficult to arrange through civilian means (though not impossible - some people do go through the trouble). Thus, particularly for the middle and lower class, the financial cost of bringing home the fallen becomes quite an obstacle, even an insurmountable one.
I'll have to look this up to check, but I recall reading that before the American Military Cemetery and Memorial was established in Cambridgeshire, USAAF personnel who were killed in the line of duty were sometimes buried in the nearest civilian cemetery to the airbase where they'd been stationed. I think some of them remained there even after it became a permanent memorial.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It was common for bodies to be recovered in an advanced state of decay, doing anything but rapidly burying them locally was just asking for massive disease outbreaks. All armies did this in the war. Many would be temporarily buried close to the place they fell, and then moved into larger cemeteries by graves registration personal once the fighting had moved on. British did the same general thing. Even had a strong desire existed to bring the bodies home the US had a critical shortage of refrigerated ship throughout the war, the entire Pacific fleet for example had just three in its service squadron. Dedicating even one to transporting bodies home, which wouldn't have been enough, was highly unrealistic.

Postwar large numbers of bodies were in fact brought home when the families requested it. The rest were further consolidated into a few dozen large cemeteries.

Historically the idea of bringing all the dead home is of course very new, prior to the 19th century it was unheard of except for prominent officers. The US Civil War started the US policy of collecting together scattered graves into larger cemeteries, in part because the bodies would be so haphazardly spread around at major battlefields. In WW1 about two thirds of bodies were eventually shipped home several years after the war, but this happened in large part because the process of collecting scattered graves into larger graveyards did not occur during the war at all. This was actually highly unpopular in France and Britain, people saw it as disturbing the dead for no good reason.

The Korean war is when the US began bringing all bodies home, because the military had no faith we would retain the territory the dead lay on in the face of the communist onslaught, and the war was so damn unpopular in general. Meanwhile long range high speed air transport had made it feasible to do so in a timely manner without the bodies decaying excessively.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956