Equipping army with weapons and armour industrial era

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Equipping army with weapons and armour industrial era

Post by Thanas »

No laws that I know of but syndicates existed. Besides, why would Rome need a special law for that?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Thanas wrote: Besides, why would Rome need a special law for that?
Probably less of a special law and more of a law regulating the selection of subcontractors (i.e. "A government official is not allowed to hire a subcontractor owned by his brother"), as similar regulations do exist for modern institutions.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romans did not really care for that. A lot of subcontractors were veterans anyways, and if you would bring your brother into it you would also be vouching for the quality. In fact, I bet the legion would have preferred people with close ties because those would be bound by family ethos and honour not to cheat too much.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs