What a gem

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

What a gem

Post by K. A. Pital »

Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Re: What a gem

Post by Losonti Tokash »

fuck this shit earth
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Just for lulz I dug up an archived online edition.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 65715.html
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

is the article itself funnier than the idea that all the thoughts within it have retroactively been declared unfacts and probably treason
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

With his high cheekbones, narrow eyes and long brown robe, Mr Bin Laden looks every inch the mountain warrior of mujahedin legend. Chadored children danced in front of him, preachers acknowledged his wisdom. 'We have been waiting for this road through all the revolutions in Sudan,' a sheikh said. 'We waited until we had given up on everybody - and then Osama Bin Laden came along.'

Outside Sudan, Mr Bin Laden is not regarded with quite such high esteem. The Egyptian press claims he brought hundreds of former Arab fighters back to Sudan from Afghanistan, while the Western embassy circuit in Khartoum has suggested that some of the 'Afghans' whom this Saudi entrepreneur flew to Sudan are now busy training for further jihad wars in Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt. Mr Bin Laden is well aware of this. 'The rubbish of the media and the embassies,' he calls it. 'I am a construction engineer and an agriculturalist. If I had training camps here in Sudan, I couldn't possibly do this job.'
:lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh wow. This needs to be preserved.

Moved to history.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The full text of the article:
Anti-Soviet warrior puts his army on the road to peace:
The Saudi businessman who recruited mujahedin now uses them for large-scale building projects in Sudan. Robert Fisk met him in Almatig
OSAMA Bin Laden sat in his gold- fringed robe, guarded by the loyal Arab mujahedin who fought alongside him in Afghanistan. Bearded, taciturn figures - unarmed, but never more than a few yards from the man who recruited them, trained them and then dispatched them to destroy the Soviet army - they watched unsmiling as the Sudanese villagers of Almatig lined up to thank the Saudi businessman who is about to complete the highway linking their homes to Khartoum for the first time in history.

With his high cheekbones, narrow eyes and long brown robe, Mr Bin Laden looks every inch the mountain warrior of mujahedin legend. Chadored children danced in front of him, preachers acknowledged his wisdom. 'We have been waiting for this road through all the revolutions in Sudan,' a sheikh said. 'We waited until we had given up on everybody - and then Osama Bin Laden came along.'

Outside Sudan, Mr Bin Laden is not regarded with quite such high esteem. The Egyptian press claims he brought hundreds of former Arab fighters back to Sudan from Afghanistan, while the Western embassy circuit in Khartoum has suggested that some of the 'Afghans' whom this Saudi entrepreneur flew to Sudan are now busy training for further jihad wars in Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt. Mr Bin Laden is well aware of this. 'The rubbish of the media and the embassies,' he calls it. 'I am a construction engineer and an agriculturalist. If I had training camps here in Sudan, I couldn't possibly do this job.'

And 'this job' is certainly an ambitious one: a brand-new highway stretching all the way from Khartoum to Port Sudan, a distance of 1,200km (745 miles) on the old road, now shortened to 800km by the new Bin Laden route that will turn the coastal run from the capital into a mere day's journey. Into a country that is despised by Saudi Arabia for its support of Saddam Hussein in the Gulf war almost as much as it is condemned by the United States, Mr Bin Laden has brought the very construction equipment that he used only five years ago to build the guerrilla trails of Afghanistan.

He is a shy man. Maintaining a home in Khartoum and only a small apartment in his home city of Jeddah, he is married - with four wives - but wary of the press. His interview with the Independent was the first he has ever given to a Western journalist, and he initially refused to talk about Afghanistan, sitting silently on a chair at the back of a makeshift tent, brushing his teeth in the Arab fashion with a stick of miswak wood. But talk he eventually did about a war which he helped to win for the Afghan mujahedin: 'What I lived in two years there, I could not have lived in a hundred years elsewhere,' he said.

When the history of the Afghan resistance movement is written, Mr Bin Laden's own contribution to the mujahedin - and the indirect result of his training and assistance - may turn out to be a turning- point in the recent history of militant fundamentalism; even if, today, he tries to minimise his role. 'When the invasion of Afghanistan started, I was enraged and went there at once - I arrived within days, before the end of 1979,' he said. 'Yes, I fought there, but my fellow Muslims did much more than I. Many of them died and I am still alive.'

Within months, however, Mr Bin Laden was sending Arab fighters - Egyptians, Algerians, Lebanese, Kuwaitis, Turks and Tunisians - into Afghanistan; 'not hundreds but thousands,' he said. He supported them with weapons and his own construction equipment. Along with his Iraqi engineer, Mohamed Saad - who is now building the Port Sudan road - Mr Bin Laden blasted massive tunnels into the Zazi mountains of Bakhtiar province for guerrilla hospitals and arms dumps, then cut a mujahedin trail across the country to within 15 miles of Kabul.

'No, I was never afraid of death. As Muslims, we believe that when we die, we go to heaven. Before a battle, God sends us seqina, tranquillity.

'Once I was only 30 metres from the Russians and they were trying to capture me. I was under bombardment but I was so peaceful in my heart that I fell asleep. This experience has been written about in our earliest books. I saw a 120mm mortar shell land in front of me, but it did not blow up. Four more bombs were dropped from a Russian plane on our headquarters but they did not explode. We beat the Soviet Union. The Russians fled.'

But what of the Arab mujahedin whom he took to Afghanistan - members of a guerrilla army who were also encouraged and armed by the United States - and who were forgotten when that war was over? 'Personally neither I nor my brothers saw evidence of American help. When my mujahedin were victorious and the Russians were driven out, differences started (between the guerrilla movements) so I returned to road construction in Taif and Abha. I brought back the equipment I had used to build tunnels and roads for the mujahedin in Afghanistan. Yes, I helped some of my comrades to come here to Sudan after the war.'

How many? Osama Bin Laden shakes his head. 'I don't want to say. But they are here now with me, they are working right here, building this road to Port Sudan.' I told him that Bosnian Muslim fighters in the Bosnian town of Travnik had mentioned his name to me. 'I feel the same about Bosnia,' he said. 'But the situation there does not provide the same opportunities as Afghanistan. A small number of mujahedin have gone to fight in Bosnia-Herzegovina but the Croats won't allow the mujahedin in through Croatia as the Pakistanis did with Afghanistan.'

Thus did Mr Bin Laden reflect upon jihad while his former fellow combatants looked on. Was it not a little bit anti-climactic for them, I asked, to fight the Russians and end up road-building in Sudan? 'They like this work and so do I. This is a great plan which we are achieving for the people here, it helps the Muslims and improves their lives.'

His Bin Laden company - not to be confused with the larger construction business run by his cousins - is paid in Sudanese currency which is then used to purchase sesame and other products for export; profits are clearly not Mr Bin Laden's top priority.

How did he feel about Algeria, I asked? But a man in a green suit calling himself Mohamed Moussa - he claimed to be Nigerian although he was a Sudanese security officer - tapped me on the arm. 'You have asked more than enough questions,' he said. At which Mr Bin Laden went off to inspect his new road.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

I'm not sure what the punchline here is. It's not as if the article makes him up to be some kind of hero. Just a guy who fought the soviets and claims he is now a peaceful man.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Kane Starkiller wrote:I'm not sure what the punchline here is. It's not as if the article makes him up to be some kind of hero. Just a guy who fought the soviets and claims he is now a peaceful man.
The article certainly aims for a sympathetic portrayal, and it is double the fun when they don't even try to dispel Bin Laden's "any talk about my militancy is bullshit" line. I doubt there was a single article after 2001 which would use a vocabulary like "Mr Bin Laden looks every inch the mountain warrior of mujahedin legend". A nice bit of history. I guess you could find articles portraying Saddam in a sympathetic fashion, too, if you go back far enough.

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

He was for us before he was against us.
------------
------------
My LPs
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Stas Bush wrote:The article certainly aims for a sympathetic portrayal, and it is double the fun when they don't even try to dispel Bin Laden's "any talk about my militancy is bullshit" line. I doubt there was a single article after 2001 which would use a vocabulary like "Mr Bin Laden looks every inch the mountain warrior of mujahedin legend". A nice bit of history. I guess you could find articles portraying Saddam in a sympathetic fashion, too, if you go back far enough.
They mention that both Egypt and circles from the West accuse him of training militants, should they have gone out of their way to follow the article with an extensive investigation?
To me at least the article ends more on an ominous note as the bodyguard says that they asked "more than enough question". Typical "brute trying to present a human face but looses it as soon as any uncomfortable questions are asked" interview.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

You might want to read up on Robert Fisk and his views before you yuk it up further.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

I didn't pay any attention to the name of the author and the name means nothing to me. Just saying that I didn't find any glorification of Bin Laden in the article.
Call me. -Batman
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

The article isn't "glorifying him" really - it's just presenting him as a charismatic but somewhat controversial figure who fought against the eeeeeeeevil Russians. It's just an interesting historical artifact from a time before Bin Laden became public enemy number 1.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Although, I'd add that the amount of space devoted to his construction and road-building activities (and the statement about how he doesn't seem to care about profit), compared with the amount of space devoted to the accusations of running Jihad training camps, definitely leaves the reader with a more favorable impression of the man.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Channel72 wrote:Although, I'd add that the amount of space devoted to his construction and road-building activities (and the statement about how he doesn't seem to care about profit), compared with the amount of space devoted to the accusations of running Jihad training camps, definitely leaves the reader with a more favorable impression of the man.
But he DID do those things. Is it so impossible to imagine that Osama Bin Ladin didn't spend all his time training militants?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

PainRack wrote:But he DID do those things. Is it so impossible to imagine that Osama Bin Ladin didn't spend all his time training militants?
Back then it wasn't impossible, because he was a part of the US-sponsored islamic militia and thus he wasn't demonized. After 2001 Bin Laden's name started meaning Nazi, Devil and Evil Incarnate all at once.

Assalti Frontali
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Its not like Osama was the only Islamic militia commander in the first place, the number that went and started world terrorist armies is rather slim.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956