Good books on the 2nd Sino Japanese War

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Good books on the 2nd Sino Japanese War

Post by mr friendly guy »

This is a topic which apparently doesn't get that much focus in English publications. I was hoping someone could recommend me some books which talk about this period. I would expect the book to talk about the politics behind it, overall strategic goals of both sides, but I was also hoping they would do battle analysis, sort of like how a standard wikipedia page will discuss things like order of battle, composition of troops, how the battle played out etc.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Re: Good books on the 2nd Sino Japanese War

Post by TC Pilot »

I myself haven't run across any especially in-depth books on the war, certainly not of the military course of events. You may find Herbet Bix's Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan helpful for information related to the Japanese side. For the Communist Chinese, you might find a first-hand account by an American reporter Agnes Smedley to be interesting, though it's almost certainly more than a bit biased toward them. I haven't read it myself, but another book, Barbara Tuchman's Stilwell and the American Experience in China, might also be something to look into.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Blayne
On Probation

Re: Good books on the 2nd Sino Japanese War

Post by Blayne »

I also suggest the "Japanese Imperial Conspiracy", two fairly large books I lent to a friend to help him write a paper on the same topic.