Why did Italy perform so poorly in WW2?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Re: Why did Italy perform so poorly in WW2?

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Giant air bags wrapped around the hull might work, also in various NATO trials for minesweeping hovercraft on cushion were found to suffer very little from exploding bottom mines, so hoverships might do rather well against torpedoes, aided by high speed reducing the ability of a torpedo to ever hit them under the keel in the first place. You'll just need a few handy NASA helium cooled direct drive turbine reactors with crushing collision protection to power the thing economically. Shallow draft does wonders for torpedo protection, one of the big British WW1 monitors once took three torpedoes without sinking, which would certainly not happen to any other type of 6,000 ton class warship let alone in WW1.

Thinking about it, one thing we should give Italy serious credit for is aerial torpedoes, they had some of the best in the war, and in 1940 likely the best, which were being exported to the allies in large numbers right up until the outbreak of the war, and later the Germans. Lots of Italian planes could carry torpedoes from the onset of war, nearly all the modern trimotor bombers in fact. So this is rather unlike most national air forces which claimed they could sink ships, but put no real effort into doing so. Effectiveness in combat never really seemed to pan out that well though. Considering the poor state of British anti aircraft defenses one can only imagine this was a training issue and lack of resolve on the part of the crews while flying relatively large aircraft. Still they did damage a good number of allied ships, including HMS Rodney and as I recall several cruisers.

SM.79s alone did the following to British cruisers:

Kent -- out of action for 12 months.
Liverpool -- out of action for 13 months.
Glasgow -- out of action for 9 months.
Manchester -- out of action for 9 months.
Phoebe -- out of action for 8 months.
Liverpool -- out of action for 13 months a second time shortly after returning from the first.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Sea Skimmer wrote:So this is rather unlike most national air forces which claimed they could sink ships, but put no real effort into doing so. Effectiveness in combat never really seemed to pan out that well though. Considering the poor state of British anti aircraft defenses one can only imagine this was a training issue and lack of resolve on the part of the crews while flying relatively large aircraft.
It was more a lack of coordination and intelligence: most of the time they didn't know where the British ships were, and when they were discovered by the Navy the message had to go from the warships to Supermarina (Italy's naval command), from there to Superaereo (air force command), and, after Superaereo identified the nearer air field, the planes were finally sent, at which point the battle had ended and the planes, usually armed with very ineffective bombs (and not with torpedoes), were more likely to find the Italian ships.
Zanfib
Redshirt

Post by Zanfib »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:the best wooden bomber of WW2
I didn't know about this. How did it compare to the mosquito?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

lord Martiya wrote: It was more a lack of coordination and intelligence: most of the time they didn't know where the British ships were, and when they were discovered by the Navy the message had to go from the warships to Supermarina (Italy's naval command), from there to Superaereo (air force command), and, after Superaereo identified the nearer air field, the planes were finally sent, at which point the battle had ended and the planes, usually armed with very ineffective bombs (and not with torpedoes), were more likely to find the Italian ships.
I just read an example of a British cruiser being put out of action for a month, by a single 25kg bomb dropped by an Italian level bomber. It was a dud no less, but it fell through the roof of the main 6in director. Got to love the idea of going after major warships with such a weapon. Italy also just had low serviceability rates which hampered its ability to actually generate mass air power.

But this isn't what I was really meaning, I'm was talking more in terms of what happened when Italian aircraft did in fact find the enemy. The attacks simply tended to lack the determination required to be effective. More then one raid on Malta, even early in the war when it had only a few fighters was observed to simply dump its bombs in the ocean offshore, rather then risk action over the harbor.

Considering the prestige of all air forces in the interwar period, and the particularly high reputation of Italian aviation its hard to believe this had anything specifically to do with the quality of the men as does partly explain the failings of the army. What is more Italy had the most combat experience prewar of any power save Japan and Spain, including actual experience attacking Spanish Republican ships.

One partial explanation I’ve seen raised is that the combat experience was detrimental, because aside from a few hard periods over Spain it was largely without serious opposition. As a result even the veteran pilots were shocked by the scale of British anti aircraft fire and determined interception, however weak, and this kind of malaise spread to the whole service. This was made worse by so many of the best units being sent to take part in the attack on Britain, which saw much Italian ass kicking, and then a swift return to the Mediterranean before most units even saw combat themselves.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Some of that was extended to the Navy. According to Le Battaglie Navali nel Mediterraneo nella Seconda Guerra Mondiale (not available in English, sadly), many in the Italian Navy were actually scared of going against the Royal Navy. The French Navy in the Mediterranean, they were sure they could handle (for apparently good reasons: the entire French Navy had slightly superior numbers but needed to keep a part out of the Mediterranean, the Italian light cruisers had been designed specifically to hunt down and sink the large French destroyers, and the 8-2 inferiority in battleships was almost immediately offset by the first two Littorio-class battleships (with higher firepower than the French Richelieu class) entering service), but the Royal Navy force in the Mediterranean was seen as just too powerful in open battle even without carrier support (with carriers making them virtually undefeatable).
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

One thing I always try to keep in mind is that when the fearless Japanese faced off against the Red Army in open terrain in 1945 (similar to the predicament the Italians faced in North Africa and Russia), the side with real tanks, real AT guns, real air support and more modern small arms and artillery beat the bitter dogshit out of the one with ineffective, antique weapons. Obviously piss-poor morale and incompetent leadership were a factor, but the bravest gun crews can't make a crappy 47mm AT gun magically crack open a Sherman or T-34.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

On the ground, that's a good reason for the initial Italian defeats in North Africa when the Brits choose to fight back (Italian tanks were consistently inferior), before Rommel brought some decent tanks and doctrine. On the sea... Morale was a good part of the Italians being ineffective even when there was no carrier.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Elfdart wrote:One thing I always try to keep in mind is that when the fearless Japanese faced off against the Red Army in open terrain in 1945 (similar to the predicament the Italians faced in North Africa and Russia), the side with real tanks, real AT guns, real air support and more modern small arms and artillery beat the bitter dogshit out of the one with ineffective, antique weapons. Obviously piss-poor morale and incompetent leadership were a factor, but the bravest gun crews can't make a crappy 47mm AT gun magically crack open a Sherman or T-34.
Eh? The Japanese were well aware of a upcoming Soviet attack and were planning accordingly but misjudged the date. As a result they [the Kwangtung Army] were caught in the open/in the process of redeployment to more defensible terrain. In te Levansworth Papers on the Manchurian Strategic Offencive the Soviets were significantly held back in Manchuria by two factors when held back atall; 1) Overextending their supply lines (and thus why they couldn't occupy Korea before the Americans) and 2) effective Japanese resistance on good defencive terrain.

So it would be incorrect to label the Japanese 'leadership' in Manchuria as "incompent" without providing examples. They seemed well aware of their weaknesses and moved to compensate where and when they could. I'm also don't see evidence that the Japanese were any less motivated in Manchuria than anywhere else.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Sun Tzu says, "If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, then the general is to blame."

Your post struck me as rather indistinct and vague, I cannot tell if you are referring to Japan, or Italy or both. You mentioned the topic as being Japan in the first sentance so that is my going assumption, in which case you said some arguably inaccurate statements. It's possible I misinterpreted, so please clarify your post so I may better understand your post.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Blayne... really, this isn't hard. He has two sentences. In one he draws an analogy between Japan and Italy. In the other, he talks about the analogy further. The context is all the posts that came before talking about Italian morale and weapons. Elfdart compares this to Japan's situation, where they had superb morale and horrible weapons.

This is about the bare minimum of complexity that I'd consider for "reading on a college level."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Let's read his paragraph again, this time without the part in paranthesis:
One thing I always try to keep in mind is that when the fearless Japanese faced off against the Red Army in open terrain in 1945, the side with real tanks, real AT guns, real air support and more modern small arms and artillery beat the bitter dogshit out of the one with ineffective, antique weapons. Obviously piss-poor morale and incompetent leadership were a factor, but the bravest gun crews can't make a crappy 47mm AT gun magically crack open a Sherman or T-34.
The portion he put into parathesis, by every reasonable standard of conversational english I know, is an "aside", a "remark" not a change in topic. Can you show me where he changes the topic here back to the Italians?
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

You know what scratch that, not worth it to get into an argument over when its reasonable to not may or may not understand someone's post as who cares.

Accepting your clarification, his analogy he is trying to.draw is still wrong for roughly the same reasons I drew about as the situations and assorted orders of battle deployed are entirely different from each other in virtually every way.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

No his analogy is completely correct and your comprehension is just lacking, maybe you should just move on since you claim you don't want an argument, yet still bother to declare the other side wrong anyway. :roll:
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

That's not what I wrote, my objection to Simon Jester was to him being condescending and what I what wasn't worth it was to address the irrelevant tangent of whether Elfdart's post could be reasonably misunderstood.

What I am doing is instead addressing Elfdart's post as clarified by Simon Jester, and hes still mistaken, (not in a bad way, but in a way I feel I can help correct, I'm not putting him down) or rather right but wrong or wrong but right depending on how you look at it. He has oversimplified the Manchurian Strategic Offensive to down to the basic attributes of the campaign; i.e: of one more advanced, better constructed military curbstomping a less advanced worse constructed one and comparing the two situations and declaring them analogous based on these surface similarities.

My objection, now that I am back at my laptop and not my phone and can now clarify and post at length is that this is an oversimplification, the actual situations are actually vastly different even if there are surface similarities.

[My original nitpick of "Oh hey what you said about the Japanese is wrong" I am disregarding as resulting from a misunderstanding, I am now instead making a new argument based on my understanding from Simon's clarification.]

Since my OP is now inconsequential;
One thing I always try to keep in mind is that when the fearless Japanese faced off against the Red Army in open terrain in 1945, the side with real tanks, real AT guns, real air support and more modern small arms and artillery beat the bitter dogshit out of the one with ineffective, antique weapons.
(dropping the sentence in parenthesis as implicit from the context provided)

Is still mistaken in the sense that I disagree with his analogy because I feel that he is oversimplifying the two, very different campaigns and is implying the misleading statement that "more advanced" militaries can always be expected to defeat less "advanced ones" (for a given definition).

The situations between 1940/41 North Africa and August 1945 were very different. The attacked in the former were the Italians, who did not understand their adversaries or planned accordingly. The British struck me as reacting to the situations and taking advantages of opportunities as they presented themselves, and did not "plan" on counter attacking the Italians in the manner they did. Or planned on how to best take advantage of it when it inevitably occurred, we only need to see the British difficulties managing over a hundred thousand Italian POW's and Churchill's Greece diversion for this to be readily apparent. Additionally the Italians were numerically superior, but logistically reliant on supply and reinforcement from the homeland, the attack and defence would always rely on how well the navy could safeguard supplies.

Also the Italians, while the attackers did not realistically plan or prepare for an attack on British Egypt, and were woefully under equipped for the task at hand.

Operation August storm differences are numerous and substantial; the Russians the "more advanced force" were the attackers, additionally they planned, trained, and prepared for months for the campaign down to the unit level, hand picking formations best suited to engage in the terrain of their particular zone. The Soviets were quantitatively and qualitatively superior in virtually every category and held the element of strategic surprise in that while the Japanese were expecting the Soviets to attack, underestimated the date in which the Soviets could operate and were in the middle of redeploying their forces to more defensible interior positions.

The Japanese for their part, while numerically inferior and possessing inferior weaponry did not so grossly underestimate their foe as the British did. The Japanese nonetheless still had hundreds of thousands of troops in Manchuria, the Kwangtung Army was arguably one of the best armies the Japanese had on the mainland. The Japanese hadn't learned nothing from their 1939 encounter with Zhukov and had prudently given their material and strategic situation wisely decided their best course of action was to prepare as best they could, and hold off as long as they could. The Japanese were also not as dependent on the Home Islands for resupply, the Japanese had spent the better part of a decade colonizing and industrializing Manchuria providing a certain degree of self sufficiency for their Manchurian forces, not nearly enough but it was far better relative to the Italians.

Finally the IJA had a vested factional interest in the defense of Manchuria as the corner stone of their influence in Japanese politics and the lynch pin of the new Japanese Empire, and was dedicated to its defense. The same cannot easily be said of the Italians with regard to Libya, I'm certain Mussolini and other imperialists felt it was important but I question to what extant the Army really wanted to defend Libya and place most of their proverbial eggs in that basket.

In a way August Storm can be said to be writing and applying the finest operational art to the attack against a understandably off balance opponent, the Italian Egyptian Offencive can be more easily said to be an text book example as to how not conduct important offensive operations (especially against a somewhat prepared and capable opponent, even if under strengthed).

So yes, the side with "superior armaments" curbstomped the side with "less superior" armaments, that much is true in the sense that "it happened." But the situations are nevertheless not identical and so the analogy breaks down, like most analogous when we look past the surface similarities and see what actually happened. Why do I feel this is important to emphasize? Because there can be situations where simply being the better equipped side may lead to organizational complacency if you just categorically assume that better guns and on paper organization and planning will result in victory and that this is a dangerous assumption to make.

Since for example we have a compelling precedent in that the Chinese Red Army, lacking in "real tanks, real at guns, real air support, modern small arms and artillery" was able to pull a reversal and defeated the superiorly equipped Nationalist Army of Chiang Kai Shek, which was supplied with modern American and Soviet weapons, while the Chinese Red Army made do with captured Japanese and pre war German equipment.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

His simple point was still correct, while your post is a waste of time that doesn't refute it, it also completely ignores Italy facing the Russians in Russia as was mentioned, and suggests you have nothing but a superficial idea of what the nationalist and communist Chinese armies were actually like. The fact is the Italians and Japanese went squish because they did not have the material to stop the enemy and other factors could not make up for it.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

I did not consider his secondary observation of the Italian performance in Russia to be relevant because I cannot see how an Italian army equally equipped as the Germans could have possibly have held out in their shoes. In Operation Uranus the ARMIR was thinly spread out for over 200 miles, were subordinate to the German command structure against a determined vastly numerically superior enemy who could choose when and where to swing the hammer.

To quote you:
The fact is the Italians and Japanese went squish because they did not have the material to stop the enemy and other factors could not make up for it.
If what you and he say are true than if we substitute the Italian weapons for German ones the situation should be reversed or at least stalemated. I can see Libya reversed, I can see Manchuria potentially stalemated for a time, but not the ARMIR. Because if all other factors remained unchanged than better equipment should make up for it.
suggests you have nothing but a superficial idea of what the nationalist and communist Chinese armies were actually like.
I don't see how this was at all suggested, the fact is on the onset of hostilities the Communists had inferior equipment and numbers to the Nationalists. The nationalists having modern equipment and that these forces engaged the Chinese red army is historical fact. The PLA had adapted itself to specifically fighting a more advanced better equiped force, it won for reasons that cannot be explained by "a more advanced military typically defeats a less advanced one".

Which to quote is the crux of his post and to requote you:
the side with real tanks, real AT guns, real air support and more modern small arms and artillery beat the bitter dogshit out of the one with ineffective, antique weapons
The fact is the Italians and Japanese went squish because they did not have the material to stop the enemy and other factors could not make up for it.
Which leads to my objection, that Elfdart made an oversimplification that neglected virtually all of the details that actually went into explaining why the campaigns went the way they did and what makes them fundamentally different from each other.

His point is correct in the sense that pointing out the obvious of how apples and oranges are both fruit is correct, but they are still entirely different fruits in every possible way. His observation is a truism, not an absolute fact, as the PLA vs RCA experience shows. It is also unnessary for me to have to go into depth to prove my cred regarding the composition of the PLA/ROCA militaries because Elfdart's argument is both contradict by yours (Allowing for other factors) and that these "other factors" such as how they were compositioned is implicit to my rebuttal. Since the ROC on paper had the better equipped military with modern American and Soviet weapons and the Chinese Red Army was making do with whatever they could scrounge the CRA should have lost by Elfdart's hypothesis. They did not, so by extrapolation there has to be other reasons such as leadership, moral, composition, intelligence, luck, etc and that equipment is not the end all be all and cannot explain the outcome in every situation.

That is all I am trying to say is just to refute what I felt was an oversimplification of complex military campaigns; I am not denying how superior equipment did their part, but it is note the sole explanation and I do not see how this is an unreasonable position. War is afterall as Sun Tzu says (paraphrasing) a matter of life and death, of survival or ruin and that no account of it should be neglected.
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Blayne, I suggest you shut up and get out of this argument while the getting is still good. You got completely thrashed and you're still flailing around with completely irrelevant shit in a pathetic attempt to avoid admitting a mistake.

Remind again why the fuck you were given a probationary stay on your ban? Because based on your performance here, I sure as fuck can't see why it should have been granted at all.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die