Want to know how long it took to travel in the Roman world?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

hongi
Jedi Council Member

Want to know how long it took to travel in the Roman world?

Post by hongi »

http://orbis.stanford.edu/

Quite frankly, brilliant.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Re: A map for calculating travel time in the Roman world.

Post by Spoonist »

I really like how they source it
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Want to know how long it took to travel in the Roman wor

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Really cool stuff. I am curious to look into more detail at the way they weight certain factors.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is pretty good and well sourced, not sure how much help it will be in field work though. On its own though, I can heartily recommend it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Thanas wrote:It is pretty good and well sourced, not sure how much help it will be in field work though. On its own though, I can heartily recommend it.
It would certainly be useful for people making RTS games and mods.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sure, but neither RTS nor mods are professional historian work.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Thanas wrote:Sure, but neither RTS nor mods are professional historian work.
*shrug* Is there reason why they can't use genuine historian work? Maybe I look at it wrong, but some Total War mods, especially Rome and Empire used huge amount of research and amazingly detailed work by fans.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yes, they did and I love some of them to death (IFBD, RTR etc. may be my favorite RTS ever). Modding however is not something a professional historian would do for a living, which was my point.

And now I sound like I hate the orbis project, when in fact I think it is a great effort.
------------
------------
My LPs
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The only use I can see it having for any "legitimate" historical research is in some theoretical case where person/group/legion/whatever was in place A on some date and place B on another date, but the records of the A->B travel are missing, then I could see using this to be helpful in coming up with some alternative models for the trip as a precursor to field or in-depth archival research or something.

But maybe this is a stretch.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Yeah.

Or to quickly make graphics illustrating the possible routes from Point A > B. It is really good for that -a great achievement in itself.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Thanas wrote:^Yeah.

Or to quickly make graphics illustrating the possible routes from Point A > B. It is really good for that -a great achievement in itself.
That would be a great teaching tool though. It would certainly help new students understand the scale of the Ancient world and how much effort it takes for any army to march from place to place.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.