Austro-Goths in The Great War?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Austro-Goths in The Great War?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

So randomly I was reading a book by an Italian monk on why Italy had joined the Great War, which provides an interesting view of what spy mania really means, as he believed German nannies were turning Italian children into spies. Anyway, he starts calling the Austrians 'Austrogoths' for a while in the book. Everyone knows the name 'Hun' for the Germans, but this is the the only place I've seen Austro-Goth, and I am wondering if anyone else has ever seen this term used as an insult in the Great War. I'm trying to deduce if this was ever a common or even uncommon term, or just something one guy made up during the war.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Austro-Goths in The Great War?

Post by Thanas »

I haven't seen it - but the insult works pretty welll (ostrogoths=foreign rulers who "oppressed" the native roman/italian populace and who cut the aquaducts of Rome and "destroyed culture" etc.). Pretty smart, because all the connotations fit.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

I remembered a piece of propaganda comparing the Austrians 'invading' Italy (technically it was the other way around, but tell that to the propaganda machine) to the Huns, but the Austo-Goth is a new one.
Anyway, the Italian soldiers tended to call the Austrians 'Cecco' (an Italian nickname for Francesco, that is Italian for 'Franz'. In the same way, emperor Franz Joseph had been nicknamed 'Cecco Beppe') and the derivative 'cecchino' (plur. 'cecchini'), that also doubles as sniper due the perceived exceptional aim of the Austrian soldiers (not sure if they actually were that good or just an impression).
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The writer seemed fairly smart, just in a delusional spy mania, Austrians are out to rape Italy because the Hun is busy kind of way. He also suggested a shield was better than a rifle for mountain fighting going on int 1915-16, which may have had some real truth. Use the shield to survive long enough to get withing hand grenade range. Man I hope I saved it, I need to dig this book back up.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956