What if....Stauffenberg succeeded?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: What if....Stauffenberg succeeded?

Post by Irbis »

Simon_Jester wrote:I am not so sure the British would have surrendered- it becomes more plausible but very far from certain.
Who said about surrender? Simple armistice would have sufficed, and England seemed close to it a few times. Had pro-German king Edward VIII kept the throne in 1936, or had any of the pretenders to the positions of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom took the spot instead of Churchill (and there were quite a few possible ones), it's possible UK would have pulled out of the war, at least temporarily.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Re: What if....Stauffenberg succeeded?

Post by irishmick79 »

I would say that the last real shot to get rid of the Nazis was probably in 1934-35. After that time period, the political counterweights to Hitler had been eliminated, meaning new leadership would have to emerge from circles with little to no experience in government service. The army perhaps could have demanded change, but given the extent to which the Nazis were committed to rearmament and given that Germany had already annexed Austria by the Sudeten crisis, I don't think the army really interested in resisting Hitler all that much.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying