Decommissioning the Shuttle

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Decommissioning the Shuttle

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

A pictorial essay of the Process on The Atlantic's website Link

I'm a bit of a hardware junkie, so seeing the insides of the various parts, and the custom cranes and rigs for assembly is neat.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: Decommissioning the Shuttle

Post by Phantasee »

That was depressing.

Thanks for the link, though. It was nice seeing the parts we didn't see before.
XXXI
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I hope they keep one for a museum or something.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

If you read the captions, it tells you where each shuttle is going. They're all going to museums or public displays around the country.
XXXI
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

Captions on picture 35 said they'd have one of the Shuttles in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Virginia, and the other one at the Kennedy Visitor Center, so I guess they're keeping both, just minus the parts that can explode, and burn and infect people with cosmic rays and such. Er, and Phat beat me to it.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I think it's mostly the toxic fuel that needs to be scrubbed off.
XXXI
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

I didn't know Space Shuttle orbiters had giant Christmas tree baubles inside them.

You learn something new every day.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Punting this to History, because it's genuinely interesting.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This is as depresssing as watching the France go to the breakers.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Phantasee wrote:I think it's mostly the toxic fuel that needs to be scrubbed off.
Can't be. If it was just that, then a surface scrub and clean would have done it. Certain parts of the Shuttle's structure, mainly the fuel tanks for the OMS/RCS have been soaking in hypergolic propellants for the last 30 years for months on end; and there's no real way to safely decontaminate them to the required level of cleanliness for a museum setting.

So the tanks have to be removed and cut up and buried in a desert wasteland for safety, with replicas installed.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

MKSheppard wrote:
So the tanks have to be removed and cut up and buried in a desert wasteland for safety, with replicas installed.
Partially. The OMS and Forward RCS were stripped down at White Sands. The OMS pods and RCS have been returned and will be reattached to their respective orbiters, but they are shells. Everything that made them function is gutted. I think the APU's will be retained, and have just been drained.

The only major components that will be replicas are the SSME's (and even those are fabricated out of older, scrapped shuttle engine nozzles), less for safety and more for future use on SLS. Discovery I think actually is retaining those bulb-shaped tanks. The Smithsonian wanted her as intact as possible, and NASA felt one Shuttle should serve as a "vehicle of record". Atlantis and Endeavour are donating a lot more elements of their propulsion systems.

On another note, Discovery has been rolled into the Smithsonian, and looked every bit the veteran for 39 space flights, as it was next to its prototype sister, Enterprise: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts133/120419/
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)