Huge Anglo-Saxon treasure trove found

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Huge Anglo-Saxon treasure trove found

Post by Dartzap »

Beeb
Huge Anglo-Saxon gold hoard found

The UK's largest haul of Anglo-Saxon treasure has been discovered buried beneath a field in Staffordshire.

Experts say the collection of 1,500 gold and silver pieces, which may date to the 7th Century, is unparalleled in size and worth "a seven figure sum".

It has been declared treasure by South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh, meaning it belongs to the Crown.

Terry Herbert, who found it on farmland using a metal detector, said it "was what metal detectorists dream of".

It may take more than a year for it to be valued.

The Staffordshire Hoard contains about 5kg of gold and 2.5kg of silver, making it far bigger than the Sutton Hoo discovery in 1939 when 1.5kg of Anglo-Saxon gold was found near Woodbridge in Suffolk.

Leslie Webster, former keeper at the British Museum's Department of Prehistory and Europe, said: "This is going to alter our perceptions of Anglo-Saxon England as radically, if not more so, as the Sutton Hoo discoveries.

"(It is) absolutely the equivalent of finding a new Lindisfarne Gospels or Book of Kells."

The Book of Kells and Lindisfarne Gospels are intricately illuminated manuscripts of the four New Testament Gospels dating from the 9th and 8th Centuries.

'Just unbelievable'

Mr Herbert, 55, of Burntwood in Staffordshire, who has been metal detecting for 18 years, came across the hoard as he searched land belonging to a farmer friend over five days in July. The exact location has not been disclosed.

"I have this phrase that I say sometimes; 'spirits of yesteryear take me where the coins appear', but on that day I changed coins to gold," he said.

"I don't know why I said it that day but I think somebody was listening and directed me to it.

"This is what metal detectorists dream of, finding stuff like this. But the vast amount there is is just unbelievable."

BBC correspondent Nick Higham said the hoard would be valued by the British Museum and the money passed on to Mr Herbert and the landowner.

A total of 1,345 items had been examined by experts, although the list included 56 clods of earth which had been X-rayed were are known to contain further metal artefacts.

This has meant the total number of items was likely to rise to about 1,500.

Experts have so far established that there were at least 650 items of gold in the haul, weighing more than 5kgs (11lb), and 530 silver objects totalling more than 1kg (2.2lb) in weight.

Copper alloy, garnets and glass objects were also discovered at the undisclosed site.

Duncan Slarke, finds liaison officer for Staffordshire, was the first professional to see the hoard which contains warfare paraphernalia, including sword pommel caps and hilt plates inlaid with precious stones.

He said he was "virtually speechless" when he saw the items.

"I saw boxes full of gold, items exhibiting the very finest Anglo-Saxon workmanship," he added.

Roger Bland, head of portable antiquities and treasure at the British Museum, said: "The most we can say is, I think we're fairly confident it is likely to be a seven-figure sum."

'Truly remarkable'

The collection is currently being kept in secure storage at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery but a selection of the items are to be displayed at the museum from Friday until 13 October.

Dr Kevin Leahy, who has been cataloguing the find for the Portable Antiquities Scheme, said it was "a truly remarkable collection".

He said it had been found in the heartland of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia.

"All the archaeologists who've worked with it have been awestruck," he added.

"It's been actually quite scary working on this material to be in the presence of greatness."

He said the most striking feature of the find was that it was almost totally weapon fittings with no feminine objects such as dress fittings, brooches or pendants.

"Swords and sword fittings were very important in the Anglo-Saxon period," Dr Leahy added.

"The Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf describes after a battle a sword being stripped of its hilt fittings.

"It looks like a collection of trophies, but it is impossible to say if the hoard was the spoils from a single battle or a long and highly successful military career.

"We also cannot say who the original, or the final, owners were, who took it from them, why they buried it or when.

"It will be debated for decades."
Quite an interesting find - There has also been jewels found in it that could potentially be from Sri Lanka, which I suppose could have been a hand-me-down from the Byzatine trading.

This country never ceases to me amaze me :D
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Huge Anglo-Saxon treasure trove found

Post by Thanas »

Why is this in SLAM and not History?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Wow. Just wow.

You'd think when someone was selling or buying land, or inheriting it, or whatever, they'd do surveys that would find this kind of thing.

I'm amazed it's not more common.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Thanas wrote:Why is this in SLAM and not History?
Ye' know, I'm asking myself that very question, talk about cack handed!

Feel free to punt it over as you please.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I don't have the power.

But I know someone who has.

Yeah. Me. --Lagmonster
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

I've got to say, from what the news story is showing such a find isn't as breathtaking as Sutton Hoo, but I suppose it's a lot of grist to analyse in terms of art history and even anglo-saxon language/dialects if there's some inscriptions. But it just doesn't have anything as amazingly cool as that face mask or the sword. Unless the news story is holding out on us or there's some really small but cool item they haven't noticed yet.

Speaking of that ceremonial helmet, the King Rædwald's facemask makes him look like a stereotypically bearish gay police officer. Seriously, look at a reproduction of the mask and think "Son, do you know how fast you were going back there?". It fits.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Duckie wrote:I've got to say, from what the news story is showing such a find isn't as breathtaking as Sutton Hoo, but I suppose it's a lot of grist to analyse in terms of art history and even anglo-saxon language/dialects if there's some inscriptions. But it just doesn't have anything as amazingly cool as that face mask or the sword. Unless the news story is holding out on us or there's some really small but cool item they haven't noticed yet.

Speaking of that ceremonial helmet, the King Rædwald's facemask makes him look like a stereotypically bearish gay police officer. Seriously, look at a reproduction of the mask and think "Son, do you know how fast you were going back there?". It fits.
I need to see your license and proof of insurance. By the way, did you know it's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.?
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

It's the moustache that does it, really. You'd think viking-descended warriors would know how to make an intimidating facemask. :)
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

More likely they'd do it to piss off their opponents. Losing to somebody who looks like a retard can be pretty demoralizing. :P
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Well, a non-ornamented version of that one could be intimidating- a bunch of iron-masked dudes with sunken eyes, all identical looking, would be pretty intimidating because it makes the warriors look inhuman and martial (made of metal armour, specifically).

But said mask still looks hillarious, because even some of the non-ceremonial ones I've seen have the heavy eyebrows or policeman moustache.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Duckie wrote:Well, a non-ornamented version of that one could be intimidating- a bunch of iron-masked dudes with sunken eyes, all identical looking, would be pretty intimidating because it makes the warriors look inhuman and martial (made of metal armour, specifically).
Yeah, okay, if I imagine them depicted in an environment like they had in 300 it could be scary. But I can't imagine it'd add much under normal conditions.

That's not to say that they wouldn't scare me shitless otherwise, by the way.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Anyone who uses 300 to mean "ancient warfare" will get his posts booted to testing in the future.

And these masks are intimidating and were used in shieldwall battles, which did occur at close range. The romans had similar masks, although there is a discussion going on if they were used in combat.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Duckie wrote:It's the moustache that does it, really. You'd think viking-descended warriors would know how to make an intimidating facemask. :)
If that's Raedwald, wouldn't it be pre-Viking?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

If anyone does not get why this is intimidating (not necessarily frightening):

You can't see his face.

This takes a lot of humanity away from your enemy.
And wether you are superstitious or not - having visual evidence that you are fighting just another human is very important.
Inpersonal sluaghter is very frightening - we see that in modern wars all the time.
And these masks made close combat inpersonal.

It works in a sparring enviorment. Add actual danger to it, and one can imagine the effects on morale.

Regards
Fina
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok folks, you're getting Off Topic a bit here. :)
Lets get back on track, shall we?
The Gold Treasure may not have the big huge masks and things of Sutton Hoo, but that was a Burial Site. So far, this is 'merely' buried treasure, probably from a battle that the owners meant to recover later, since there's no feminine items found.

So far, we've seen gold sword fittings set with garnets. Many of the patterns are known from Sutton Hoo and other burial sites, but they still have many surprises.
Take the checkered glass stud, for example.
The gold backing is not that impressive, although what we can see of the garnets shows a nice keystone-style pattern. However it's the checker-board glass cabochon that makes this piece interesting. The contrast of the white glass with the black (?) and clear blue is striking. From the slight unevenness of the pattern, this was made the same way a candy-cane is -- start with a block of one color, layer the others around it in the pattern you want, then roll it out into a tube to get it down to the size you want it. The original block of hot glass would have been much larger, and produced dozens or more of these cabochons. Perhaps they were even cut off in coin-shaped roundels, then polished down to the cabochon shape. Some larger sections of the tube could have been ground down into glass beads as well.

Then you have the cheek-piece from the helmet. Gold plated bronze I think, as the green staining shows. The gold also seems to have rubbed off in places. Of course, this might just be where it's not been cleaned properly -- it could be full gold. However, a helmet of gold is a crappy way to protect your head. Only 4 helmets of this style have been found so far. If they can find more of this one, or if there's another still buried, that right there is a Major Find by itself.

And the COINS! We don't get to see them, but who's on them? I'm assuming the faces on them were used to guess at the time period of the burial. Still, were they Germanic? Byzantine? Frankish? What size/weight were they, what denominations did they show? If the garnets might be from Sri Lanka, as assumed, then the coins would also be from trading, right?

Many of the items are empty gold fittings, that obviously have been pried open to remove the gemstones. More cabochon settings (flat back, rounded tops) most likely, as those are easy to polish and produce. But look at the fittings themselves! See the little teeth, not prongs like most modern settings, but saw-tooth teeth meant to snug down over the gem and hold it tight. The bent crosses have missing gemstones. The dagger hand-guard has holes as if for gems as well. Even the strip with the biblical scripture seems to have a place on it where a gemstone could have once rested. Where are the gems? Taken away as more portable than the heavier gold?

But for me the tongued bucket gets all the attention. Many people have this idea that those were not produced during this time period.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And more insight to it.

link
BBC NEWS wrote: BBC NEWS
Hoard shines light on Dark Ages

By Dr Michael Lewis
Deputy head of Portable Antiquities Scheme, British Museum

This treasure paints a new picture of our past and the Dark Ages.

What makes it outstanding is the sheer quantity - we're talking about 1,500 objects, almost entirely precious metal.

Normally you would expect a handful of objects each year of this quality for the period in question, which is the 7th Century.

A metal detectorist finding just one of these objects would consider it the find of their life. To find 1,500 is bizarre and it would blow the average person's mind.

Now, everybody wants to know who it belongs to and why it was put there. But those questions are tricky to answer.

For the Anglo-Saxon period, this is an awful lot of wealth for one person, or even one people, to have left in one place.

At the moment, we can say what it isn't, even if we can't say what it is. It's not associated with a burial, like Sutton Hoo was, for example.

Precious metal

After that, there are two main possibilities.

The first is that this treasure has been purposefully deposited, like an offering to a god.

But, from my 21st-Century perspective, I find it bewildering that someone could shove so much metalwork into the ground as an offering. That seems like overkill.

The other possibility is it's a treasure chest that got lost, or they couldn't come back for it.

The material is predominantly associated with war - swords, sword fittings, bits of helmets and the like - but all the precious metalwork has been stripped.

That means they're not treasuring the objects as wholes, they're taking the precious metals off and keeping them.

Most things we find from the Anglo-Saxon period are what we call "chance finds", in other words the things people lost, or hoards purposefully deposited, or finds from burials.

But hoarding is more associated with the Viking period. Things like big coin hoards are more a 10th-Century sort of find. This is a strange phenomenon in this country for the 7th Century.

People will now be working to understand when the material was deposited, then we'll look at what we know of the history - which is not a lot - to tie it down.

The finds date from a wide period, which is unusual, so the first thing this may do is help us improve our dating of the Anglo-Saxon period.

Much of what we know about this period is based on archaeology, not written evidence, because that written evidence is so scant.

We've got the objects, but not the historical context.

That's a problem because we understand the world based on what's written down, but we're not that good at understanding people from their material culture.

What would we make of modern society if we just looked at the material culture? What would we try to understand from it with no historical context to put it in?

Rulers overlooked

Yet that's what we're trying to do here.

I don't think it's realistic to identify this with a particular individual. We'll probably never find the owners, although the best bet is a ruler from the kingdom of Mercia, where it was found.

In this period some Mercian rulers, like Penda and Offa, are quite well-known to us. Penda is a bit before this period, and Offa is right at the end, so it has to be someone in the middle.

But our historical sources are limited to people like the monk Bede, who wrote from a Christian perspective.

The Mercian rulers at the time are likely to have been pagan, but they could have been overlooked by Bede even though they might have been important, because he wasn't interested in them - for whatever reason.

So this will help us look back at those sources, and those historical figures, with more scrutiny than we did before.

The Dark Ages were called the Dark Ages because it was seen as a period where, after Roman civilisation, somehow we went backwards in time.

But this demonstrates there were still wonderful objects being produced, and produced in this country.

It will take years, or decades, to get answers, and we still won't get all of them.

We can't just ask questions about this hoard, either - we need to ask questions about how this hoard fits in with everything else we know.

Have we made assumptions elsewhere that aren't right?

Those are the things we'd like to know about. It's very, very early days.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/u ... 272848.stm
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet