A Comparison of Qin era soldiers with other ancient armies

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: A Comparison of Qin era soldiers with other ancient armies

Post by ray245 »

PainRack wrote:
ray245 wrote: Unless we are comparing the logistical capabilities of the Qin dynasty against any other major power during this era.
Won't the Romans be superior in this arena? The Punic wars were feats of logistics, over a region of space larger than China afterall. Especially when one remembers that Rome could constantly regenerate destroyed armies over and over again.

The best the Qin would had would be Meng Tian expedition against the Xiongniu, or the logistic endeavours to build the Great Wall.
I'm not saying the Qin has better logistic or anything. I'm just saying logistic still matters in this discussion, even if it is impossible for the armies to meet each other.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: A Comparison of Qin era soldiers with other ancient armies

Post by Thanas »

And lock.

It is not like the topic has not done several times before. And it has always been the same - while the romans most likely would have the superior army, logistics would prevent each side from ever meeting each other.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs