Military uniforms questions

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

montypython
Jedi Master

Military uniforms questions

Post by montypython »

Looking at some old historical pictures of different military dress uniforms, I noticed that certain design features like an enclosed collar such as this changed into shirt and tie forms like this. My question is, which army was the first to make the change from enclosed collar to shirt and tie, and what the rationale for it?
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Re: Military uniforms questions

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The enclosed collar, still present in some uniforms, is a relic of a time when it was composed of heavy material designed to soften or otherwise mitigate blows to the neck. That said it wasn't anywhere near universal and uniforms of the same era even within the same nation might have variation on this subject.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

In addition, the necktie as it is now comes from the mid-to-late 1800s. It didn't gain widespread acceptance until sometime later, and sometime between the world wars a lot of militaries seem to have changed their dress uniforms (the Americans, British, and Germans, for instance). Style certainly has a part to play in dress uniforms as well.

EDIT: Also, the relegation of dress uniforms for mostly ceremonial and such purposes had to do with it per Wilkens' post. Up until WWI, the British even were still using full dress uniforms for some non-ceremonial purposes. Since the blazer-and-tie combo doesn't offer much neck protection, that is probably a big part of it as well.
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

montypython wrote:My question is, which army was the first to make the change from enclosed collar to shirt and tie, and what the rationale for it?
Ghetto edit - it seems like the British did it first, for purposes of identifying regiments.
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward