Book Advice: The Oxford History of the United States

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Book Advice: The Oxford History of the United States

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I'm looking for a little bit of advice, I guess. I have four of the books in the Oxford History of the United States, and the four I have I think are excellent: Battle Cry of Freedom (Civil War Era), The Glorious Cause (Revolution), What Hath God Wrought (1815-1848), and Freedom from Fear (the Depression and WWII). Does anyone know if the others (Grand Expectations, which goes from WWII to Watergate, and Restless Giant, which goes from Watergate to the election of W) are worth getting?
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Re: Book Advice: The Oxford History of the United States

Post by Androsphinx »

Grand Expectations is superb, and although I haven't read Restless Giant it's by the same guy & should similarly be excellent
"what huge and loathsome abnormality was the Sphinx originally carven to represent? Accursed is the sight, be it in dream or not, that revealed to me the supreme horror - the Unknown God of the Dead, which licks its colossal chops in the unsuspected abyss, fed hideous morsels by soulless absurdities that should not exist" - Harry Houdini "Under the Pyramids"

"The goal of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Ruskin, "Stones of Venice"
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

My wife highly recommends the last two books. She used Grand Expectations as a textbook in a graduate course on the US during the 1960s, and she liked it so much she's currently reading Restless Giant in what little spare time she has.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Seems like Grand Expectations and Restless Giant are on the list, then. Thanks, guys!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I picked up Restless Giant and What God Hath Wrought today when I made my first ever visit to the Orlando Public Library in Downtown Orlando. I'll see how good they are soon enough (I may read them next, just started a short history of Central America this morning).

It's a good thing my Dad was waiting outside for me and kept me from staying long, because as much as I'd like to have a few hours to go through the 900 shelves of non-fiction, the odds are I'd try to walk out with 50 books.... :oops:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED