Pre-modern attacks on slavery

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Re: Pre-modern attacks on slavery

Post by Akkleptos »

frogcurry wrote:When the first Spanish colonisation efforts in the New World started, Isabella and Ferdinand blocked several sales of slaves sent back by Columbus - the natives being seen as subjects of the monarchs and people ready to be enlightened by the Christian ideals, hence under the Crown of Castiles protection.
<snip>
I've not familiar with what happens post-Isabella/ Columbus but I assume the growing use of native slaves that he encouraged (since he himself never found the vast quantities of gold he promised Castile) in the New World plus less concern from the rulers of Spain probably acted to normalise the mass use of non-white slaves in the new world.
Oh, they found a way alright! The "gentiles" of the New World "needed" to be brought into the Holy Catholic Faith, as per the Inter cætera, in 1493. The Inter Cætera states: "Among other works well pleasing to the Divine Majesty and cherished of our heart, this assuredly ranks highest, that in our times especially the Catholic faith and the Christian religion be exalted and be everywhere increased and spread, that the health of souls be cared for and that barbarous nations be overthrown and brought to the faith itself. ...we (the Papacy) command you (Spain) ... to instruct the aforesaid inhabitants and residents and dwellers therein in the Catholic faith, and train them in good morals".

So, the Spanish Crown came up with the Encomienda system, by which
Wiki wrote:the crown granted a person a specified number of natives of whom they were to take responsibility. The receiver of the grant was to instruct the natives in the Spanish language and in the Catholic faith. In return, they could exact tribute from the natives in the form of labour, gold or other products, such as in corn, wheat or chickens.
Eventually, it became a sort of slavery/indentured servitude to all practical effects. I know the links are Wikipedia, but I had to do some papers on this back in History school, so rest assured it's legit.

EDIT: fixed links
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative: