Polish Army Museum

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Polish Army Museum

Post by K. A. Pital »

Damn, that JS-2 is huge and in very good condition. No history of the tank on the plaquette? Some JS-2s were taken to museums from the tank reserves, hence the good condition.
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I suppose they were running out of young GULAG prisoners to man the machine gun by that point
Those wouldn't even be let near an airplane. ;)
Marcus Aurelius wrote:The Il-2 had a different shape cockpit, since the rear gunner's position was added as an afterthought.
It was developed initially as a rejected variant, then added when rear defences proved themselves important.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

PeZook wrote: "Kubuś" (Jake) armored car. Built by the AK in secret for use in the Warsaw Uprising, based on a Chevrolet truck. Hence, Warsaw partisans became the only insurgency in history capable of domestically developing and deploying armored vehicles :D
The Danish underground in WW2 also developing their own armored cars, the V3:

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Did they ever deploy it in combat? Kubus saw plenty of action in the Warsaw Uprising, which means it was actually developed and deployed operationally.

It also has much better armor coverage, IMHO :)
Stas Bush wrote:Damn, that JS-2 is huge and in very good condition. No history of the tank on the plaquette? Some JS-2s were taken to museums from the tank reserves, hence the good condition.
I didn't make a picture of the plaquette. IIRC, it actually served in the Polish army post-war, but again, I may be wrong.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

PeZook wrote:Did they ever deploy it in combat? Kubus saw plenty of action in the Warsaw Uprising, which means it was actually developed and deployed operationally.

It also has much better armor coverage, IMHO :)
The German forces already had surrendered when it was ready on 5 May 1945, but was used successfully in combat against Danish collaborators.
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Decue wrote: The German forces already had surrendered when it was ready on 5 May 1945, but was used successfully in combat against Danish collaborators.
Well, in this case, I'll edit the post. This is one educational thread :)

EDIT: Okay, I won't edit the post. Board locked me out.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Fixed it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Pelranius wrote:I think the Su SP gun is a 76. Very good photos.
More specifically, it appears to be a SU-76M (SU-12M factory designation). By the way, SU is an acronym in this context, so both letters should be capitalized (sorry about the input from the nitpick section of my brain).