From slaves to "top spot"

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

From slaves to "top spot"

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

On inauguration day, Will Smith was quoted as saying of Barack Obama on CNN that "never before in the history of the planet has someone, a group of people, moved from the slave class of empire to be elected to the top spot." I'm simply wondering if anyone would care to volunteer examples that could falsify his statement, because I somehow get the impression that he didn't research it all that deeply.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: From slaves to "top spot"

Post by Thanas »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:On inauguration day, Will Smith was quoted as saying of Barack Obama on CNN that "never before in the history of the planet has someone, a group of people, moved from the slave class of empire to be elected to the top spot." I'm simply wondering if anyone would care to volunteer examples that could falsify his statement, because I somehow get the impression that he didn't research it all that deeply.

In ancient rome freedmen and slaves were at times considered more powerful than the emperor himself and certainly more powerful than the aristocracy. For example, Narcissus and Pallas are descripted as largely handling affairs of state under Claudius, though how much of that is a fabrication is unclear.

However, we know that freedmen could become roman governors. Gaius Iulius Polybius, the secretary of Claudius, was reputadly as honored as the consuls. Halotus became procurator and like many freedmen very wealthy. Heck, freedmen were even allowed to dedicate roads and public buildings in their honour since Augustus.

The phenomenon is not just limited to Claudius. Some freedmen even married into the senatorial class, under Marcus Aurelius for example. Caenis, a freedwomen, became empress in all but name under Vespasian. One other (in-)famous example is Cleander under Commodus, who even commanded the praetorian guard.

So yeah, in ancient Rome freedmen could rise to the highest order. There was no emperor who had been a freedmen, though.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Well, "elected" would be the key word there. As far as I know, Smith is right by virtue of that technicality.

Though others have risen faster. Stalin, I think, would count, considering his mother had been a serf. Often, the founders of Chinese dynasties (Ming springs to mind) started out as nothing more than peasants, too.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

TC Pilot wrote:Well, "elected" would be the key word there. As far as I know, Smith is right by virtue of that technicality.

Though others have risen faster. Stalin, I think, would count, considering his mother had been a serf. Often, the founders of Chinese dynasties (Ming springs to mind) started out as nothing more than peasants, too.
Yes, you are right, but I think you and I would both concur that this technicality does not mean much - clearly Smith was trying to do one of those "the USA are special" speeches. His main point is that children of slaves have never risen to becoming leaders in no other country, when in fact in roman times, even slaves themselves did.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Wouldn't Marmalukes count as well? They seem to be the perfect example.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Samuel wrote:Wouldn't Marmalukes count as well? They seem to be the perfect example.
I guess in a strictly technical sense, Mamluks were slaves and they did take over rule of Egypt. But privileged slave-soldiers who formed the core of Egypt's military and then seized power probably belong in a somewhat different category from chattel slaves after the fashion of the American South.

We can also address the matter that, strictly speaking, Barack Obama doesn't belong to precisely the same ethnic group as other African Americans. He actually has no ancestors that were slaves. That said, I don't mean to disparage his identification as a Black American, because he definitely belongs to that group, not as a result of his descent from slaves but because of experiences during his own lifetime. Being that he was elected as a black man, he can still be viewed as a success on behalf of people descended from slaves.

Since we're doing that, I guess I'd like to ask Thanas if there was any Roman Emperor who, though not himself a freedman, was descended from at least one. But really slavery was a very different institution in the Roman Empire, and I don't think they had any tradition of enslaving only people meeting specific criteria (like, "we will enslave only Illyrians, and the large majority of all Illyrians will be slaves").

What we're really talking about is a member of an minority that was aggressively and specifically marginalized and mistreated in the history of a nation, becoming the leader of that nation. With that, it's actually fairly difficult to find very many examples that are really equivalent to what was done to African American slaves. Nelson Mandela sort of fits. Benito Juarez might be the best counter-example, because under the Spanish colonial system in Mexico indigenous peoples like the Zapotec were very badly treated and often enslaved.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

TC Pilot wrote:Well, "elected" would be the key word there. As far as I know, Smith is right by virtue of that technicality.

Isn't the founder of the Ming a monk as well?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Since we're doing that, I guess I'd like to ask Thanas if there was any Roman Emperor who, though not himself a freedman, was descended from at least one.
Yes, certainly. Publius Helvius Pertinax, the son of the freedmen Helvius Successus, who rose through merit to the highest offices and eventually became emperor is but one example. Really, being descended from a freedmen was nothing special in rome. Based on the high proportion of freedmen and the frequent rumours (heck, one ancient comedy basically has this as the centerpiece) of freedmen and slaves having sex with nobility I would be surprised if this was not the case in many of the emperors.
But really slavery was a very different institution in the Roman Empire, and I don't think they had any tradition of enslaving only people meeting specific criteria (like, "we will enslave only Illyrians, and the large majority of all Illyrians will be slaves").
Yes, that is correct.
What we're really talking about is a member of an minority that was aggressively and specifically marginalized and mistreated in the history of a nation, becoming the leader of that nation.
Well, if we want to go down that route, what about christianity in the Roman empire? I think all the criteria fit.

Or, of course, one can make the case of Nevitta, Ricimer and the majority of the germano-roman generals, who not only were members of a minority (german settlers in the roman empire) but also very often members of enemy tribes. Of course, that is not nearly as impressive, since a concept like nationalism did not exist in antiquity.
------------
------------
My LPs
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:On inauguration day, Will Smith was quoted as saying of Barack Obama on CNN that "never before in the history of the planet has someone, a group of people, moved from the slave class of empire to be elected to the top spot." I'm simply wondering if anyone would care to volunteer examples that could falsify his statement, because I somehow get the impression that he didn't research it all that deeply.
Excuse the ignorance but is this statement correct? Was Barak Obama descended from 'the slave class' at all? My impression was that his mother was white and his father was Kenyan - and there were no slaves in Kenya, certainly not under British rule. So, this quote would seem to be elliptical at best.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Pablo already dealt with that in a post above yours, Stuart.
------------
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Thanas wrote:So yeah, in ancient Rome freedmen could rise to the highest order. There was no emperor who had been a freedmen, though.
Obama isn't a "freedman" either.
Since we're doing that, I guess I'd like to ask Thanas if there was any Roman Emperor who, though not himself a freedman, was descended from at least one.
Supposedly, Ceaser Augustus was the great-grandson of a freeman. That's the only one I'm aware of, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were others.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Broomstick wrote:Supposedly, Ceaser Augustus was the great-grandson of a freeman. That's the only one I'm aware of, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were others.
Did you read my post?
------------
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sorry - was Publius Helvius Pertinax the orginal name of Augustus? Perhaps I'm a bit distracted and missed that. Admittedly, Roman history is not my strong point.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Broomstick wrote:Sorry - was Publius Helvius Pertinax the orginal name of Augustus? Perhaps I'm a bit distracted and missed that.

No. Pertinax was the emperor after Commodus, about 250 years after Augustus.
------------
------------
My LPs
frogcurry
Padawan Learner

Post by frogcurry »

A number of the Ottomans significant leaders and Viziers in the period before the 1600's or so were, if not quite on the top spot, still near it and raised from the status of a convert to Islam and near-slave (jannisaries) status, Zaganos Pasha for example. In this sense they were similar to the roman approach.

Also the harem system meant that many of the Ottoman sultans would be the decendent of non-turkish mothers. I believe that Suleiman falls into this category.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

It might be fair to say that no group in history has gone from being property to providing a leader in such a short time. Through peaceful means anyway.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Setzer wrote:It might be fair to say that no group in history has gone from being property to providing a leader in such a short time. Through peaceful means anyway.
The US Civil War hardly counts as "peaceful means".
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Setzer wrote:It might be fair to say that no group in history has gone from being property to providing a leader in such a short time. Through peaceful means anyway.
The US Civil War hardly counts as "peaceful means".
Besides, Thanas and others already pointed out examples of either slaves, freedmen or sons of freedmen rising to positions that possess great deals of power. So, within 2 or 3 generations, which is certainly a shorter period of time than the 150 years since the American civil war.

Also, the christianity point does fit perfectly. From lion-fodder to ruling class is perhaps a more radical transformation than a single person rising above the tide.
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Well, it's not like the Civil war was a widespread rebellion by slaves where they conquered their former masters. I count winning an election as peaceful means.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Artemas wrote:Also, the christianity point does fit perfectly. From lion-fodder to ruling class is perhaps a more radical transformation than a single person rising above the tide.

It does actually, but now I wish I hadn't brought it up, because what happened is that the roman state discovered "hey, christianity can be a tool" and co-opted it. So yes, in the grand scope of things it does fit, but only as a minority getting used by the majority does.

But Pertinax is an excellent counter-example.
------------
------------
My LPs
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

frogcurry wrote:A number of the Ottomans significant leaders and Viziers in the period before the 1600's or so were, if not quite on the top spot, still near it and raised from the status of a convert to Islam and near-slave (jannisaries) status, Zaganos Pasha for example. In this sense they were similar to the roman approach.

Also the harem system meant that many of the Ottoman sultans would be the decendent of non-turkish mothers. I believe that Suleiman falls into this category.
The Janissaries practically ran the Empire until one of the Sultans got a backbone and ordered the regular army to shell their barracks into oblivion. Still had nice music though.

Throughout history, Imperial China was often controlled by court eunuchs, especially during the terminal decline of various dynasties. I don't know if they qualify as slaves, though.

On another note, great to see Stuart around here again.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Whenever I think this over, the first person that keeps coming to mind is the Roman Emperor Maximus Thrax, first barbarian emperor. Hardly a slave, but certainly an outsider.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

What about Haiti? In spite of immense election fraud and otherwise corrupt politics, the majority of Haitian leaders are/were descended of French slaves on Hispaniola. Hell, I imagine some of them were even elected in a somewhat legitimate fashion. :P

For instance, Stenio Vincent seems like he was elected to the presidency with a relative minimum of election fraud (no worse than a few US presidents, at anyrate, it seems).

The other states of Central and South America probably have also had their fair share of heads of state that have slave ancestors. Porfirio Díaz, for instance, was of mixed European and Native American descent, and most Native Americans in Central and South America were usually slaves or serfs.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

TC Pilot wrote:Whenever I think this over, the first person that keeps coming to mind is the Roman Emperor Maximus Thrax, first barbarian emperor. Hardly a slave, but certainly an outsider.
Publius Helvius Pertinax - son of a freed slave, Emperor. Jesus christ, don't people even read the thread?
------------
------------
My LPs
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

God forbid your one example doesn't preclude any further discussion of any sort.