Russia's Imperial family's furniture found in Finland

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Russia's Imperial family's furniture found in Finland

Post by Tiriol »

A little bit of historical news from Finland, as reported by YLE News: the last Czarina's furniture has been found in a private Finnish home.
YLE News wrote:Czarina's Furniture Found in Private Finnish Home
published today 07:23 AM, updated today 01:55 PM

Furniture that belonged to the last Czarina of Russia has been discovered in a private Finnish home.

The unique ensemble was originally part of the furnishings of the private "silver chamber of the Czarina Alexandra Fyodorovna at the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg. The discovery of the origin of the furniture was made when it was recently put up for sale.

The ensemble, made in the workshop of N.F. Svirsky in St. Petersburg is thought to have originally been made up of 15 pieces. Of those, 11 are included in the find. The furniture was designed by N.V. Nabokov. It came to Finland sometime in the 1920s, following the Russian Revolution.

The deputy director of the Russian State Museum, Iraida K. Bott, authenticated the pieces on Wednesday. She said that its appearance on the market is a truly significant event.

Finland's National Board of Antiquities also considers the find as unique and has expressed the hope that the furniture can return to its original setting in the Winter Palace.

YLE
This raises the interesting question whether Imperial property of the Russian Czars might still be found in foreign lands, since presumably a lot of it could have been spirited away in the chaos of the revolutions and Russian Civil War.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Karza
Jedi Knight

Re: Russia's Imperial family's furniture found in Finland

Post by Karza »

I hope they can puzzle together a bit more specific explanation of how the furniture ended up over here. Stolen by someone fleeing the palace? Looted and sold by the rebels?
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Karza wrote:I hope they can puzzle together a bit more specific explanation of how the furniture ended up over here. Stolen by someone fleeing the palace? Looted and sold by the rebels?
Yeah, it would be nice to see a more specific explanation, especially when the current owner has stated that he had no idea the furniture was that prestigious; he simply thought it was some old Russian furniture from time before Finland became independent.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, heck, my peasant/serf grandparents smuggled a fair amount of portable wealth out of Russia when they left - I'm not entirely surprised someone else did. Nor is it surprising for it to turn up in Finland given the physical proximity and close cultural/political ties over the centuries.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

You'd think that someone smuggling stuff out of Civil War Russia would choose something a little more portable than the Tzarina's furniture. My guess is that the Bolsheviks or someone might have tried selling it off for cash, possibly not knowing the history behind these chairs and drawers.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.