Alternatives to local currency?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Alternatives to local currency?

Post by Broomstick »

PainRack wrote:Were cash crops such as bananas ever used as currency? I remember someone garbling about how bananas and other fruit were held as standards of wealth in Dutch controlled Indonesia, as well as the Carribeans.
Well, just a few posts above yours I mentioned coca beans being used as currency by the pre-European Central Americans.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I suppose any staple crop is valid currency in an agrarian society.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Coca wasn't a staple crop - in fact, consumption of chocolate was largely restricted to the aristocracy - and is in no way as vital to life as things like corn and potatoes. Coca beans were a luxury item, even more so than today.

In a barter economy - some of which are quite large, such as Ancient Egypt and the Ancient American civilizations like the Aztec, Maya, Inca, etc. - staple crops are arguably a basic unit of exchange, but that doesn't mean it's currency in the same sense as coin or gems or other valuables are.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Grain worked as good currency, since it wasn't as perishable as fruit.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
folti78
Padawan Learner

Post by folti78 »

In the food as money category I'll nominate the tea bricks made from dried, ground tea leaves. They are used as long lasting food and beverage source, also doubled as currency in and around China.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

Broomstick wrote:That, or at certain times and places, spices.

Cocoa beans have also been used as currency in the Western Hemisphere, but that was about 500 years ago.
Certainly. Cocoa beans had been used as currency in Mesoamerica (Kirschoff's term) for quite a while when the Spaniards came. More on that can be found in Jacques Soustelle's Daily Life Of The Aztecs.

Along with spices, it had the advantage of being quite durable in bean form (unlike fruits like, say, bananas), which made it apt and convenient to be used as currency.
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative: