Breaking Women's Dress Codes in recent History

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Breaking Women's Dress Codes in recent History

Post by Kitsune »

Pants to be more specific.

In the Western World, United States, Canada, Europe (Various Places), what would have been the reaction of society to a woman wearing pants during approximately the last 300 years. I think in the past she could have been arrested and possibly even put to death

Say we start at 1700 and go up by around 50 years (if that is a good number to work with - If not maybe go with 25 year intervals)

Say 1700, 1750, 1800, 1850, 1900, 1950, and 2000.

Also any countries which are either ahead or behind the trends, specific regions like comparing Southern United States to Northern United States, and any significant events which change that.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Breaking Women's Dress Codes in recent History

Post by Thanas »

Kitsune wrote:Pants to be more specific.

In the Western World, United States, Canada, Europe (Various Places), what would have been the reaction of society to a woman wearing pants during approximately the last 300 years. I think in the past she could have been arrested and possibly even put to death
Do you know anything of European legal codes from 1700 onwards at all? I think not, since you make such an inane suggestion.

Say we start at 1700 and go up by around 50 years (if that is a good number to work with - If not maybe go with 25 year intervals)

Say 1700, 1750, 1800, 1850, 1900, 1950, and 2000.

Also any countries which are either ahead or behind the trends, specific regions like comparing Southern United States to Northern United States, and any significant events which change that.
The biggest thing that changed attitude was industrialization and the involvement of women in the workforce. When that happened, attitudes changed.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Actually quite a number of women wore pants - for instance many women pretended to be men so that they could join ship crew or engage in other male activities. Women who ride horses eg cowgirls (as in old American West) would often wear jeans.
There was probably various communities in which it was normal for women to wear pants.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Thanas wrote:Do you know anything of European legal codes from 1700 onwards at all? I think not, since you make such an inane suggestion.
Sorry, that is why I am asking.....
I have read (or possibly heard) of cases about in the middle ages women being put to death as witches for dressing as me. I did not know if that was really the case or if it carried so long that it made it into the 1700's.
Thanas wrote: The biggest thing that changed attitude was industrialization and the involvement of women in the workforce. When that happened, attitudes changed.
I had a teacher who had a daughter in the 1960s in public school who was suspended from school for wearing pants.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kitsune wrote:
Thanas wrote:Do you know anything of European legal codes from 1700 onwards at all? I think not, since you make such an inane suggestion.
Sorry, that is why I am asking.....
I have read (or possibly heard) of cases about in the middle ages women being put to death as witches for dressing as me.
And that would mean dressing like....what, exactly? I do not know how you dress.
Thanas wrote: The biggest thing that changed attitude was industrialization and the involvement of women in the workforce. When that happened, attitudes changed.
I had a teacher who had a daughter in the 1960s in public school who was suspended from school for wearing pants.
You do know that ancedotal evidence of school dress codes is not that much of an indicator for society as a whole?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Thanas wrote:And that would mean dressing like....what, exactly? I do not know how you dress.
Sorry, I mean "Men" not "Me"
Thanas wrote:You do know that ancedotal evidence of school dress codes is not that much of an indicator for society as a whole?
In most cases, I really am not going as far as death penalty but a certain level of ostracism within the community. Basically, when did it stop being something that gossip would be rampant about a woman dressing in pants.
Thomas Paine