How accurate is this site (WW2 - eastern front)?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

How accurate is this site (WW2 - eastern front)?

Post by Serafina »

I have a simple question: How accurate is this site about the Great Patriotic War?

It has a interesting mutimedia map/presentation about the eastern front in WW II, from a russian point of view.
It seems to have good research, and showing little bias.
However, being no expert in history, i wanted to ask what you think about this site?
Is it good enough to be used as a reliable source, or should i discard it as "nice but unreliable"?

(Warning: The presentation is rather long, due to it showing 4 years of war. There is no need to watch it completly (if you do not want to - a good first impression is all i want.)
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: How accurate is this site (WW2 - eastern front)?

Post by phongn »

I wouldn't use it as a reliable source - there's plenty of other sources for that. That said, it is a nice site!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Why, thank you.

Of course there are other sources - but on this site, i have a nice, compressed, enjoyable source.
Thus, i can easily show it to other people (friends/sibilings) and either educate them or discuss it with them.
But if the information is inaccurate/biassed, i would not want to use it (obviously).
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

It is somewhat biased in its delivery of information, but it is still very good for seeing the general ebb and flow of the war.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

There's no potential for major bias there anyway. It's mostly about the military operations. And the remembrances of people are genuine, so the issue is not the reliability of the "website" itself, but the reliability of the people's witness accounts and recollections.

This site is a good example of what modern technology can do to condense the history of a gigantic war into a short and concise interactive presentation. It's more visual as a general overview, far better than a book with static mapsets - so if you want to just have an overview of the war, by all means use it.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, thank you all for the information.

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I love that site. Saw it a few months ago but forgot to bookmark it. It must have taken an impressive amount of work to put all of that together