Armenian Genocide/Massacre

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Paradox_Fanatic
Redshirt

Armenian Genocide/Massacre

Post by Paradox_Fanatic »

I was in a discussion with a pair of Turkish exchange students and got into an argument about the Armenian Genocide. I am almost absolutely positive their stance is wrong, but I don't have any good sources to reference. Does anybody know solid and respectable works on the Armenian Genocide/Massacre (unfortunately English only)?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Armenian Genocide/Massacre

Post by K. A. Pital »

Hmm... for once, this is kind of the behaviour we'd like to discourage in History - asking people to be googleboting for you, because the Armenian genocide is fairly well-documented, and so you know you should be looking for documents.
following bibliography would be the best and most solid in factology?

So I am willing to help you out here.

1) Pick the most modern studies.
2) Pick those which are scientific inquiries, like monographies, and which center around investigation of German and Turkish documents on the matter, as well as other documental evidence - photographic, records, people's remembrances; do not pay any attention to short articles in newspapers.

Quibbling over the technical definion of whether it was genocide or just large-scale massacres is pointless in my view, since the scale of the massacre does not change regardless of whether you slap "genocide" or it or not. I am not a fan of how the word "genocide" has been abused in modern, often politically driven historiography and especially in political journalism. But there is undeniable evidence that an extremely large-scale massacre has occured, whcih was perpetrated by the Turkish government and military leadership.

What is the "stance" your turkish students are holding? Oh, and if it's "denial" - you can't really argue against that.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

In my experience arguments over the Armenian genocide usually boil down to legalistic squabbling over the definition of 'genocide' itself. I don't think there's any serious doubt that a fuckload of people died, the question is over the intentions of the Ottoman government and the extent of its actions.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Yeah, basically is a whole load of talk about the word "genocide". Hence why I consider it useless to discuss about "genocide" - to be fair, the whole term is ill-defined and thus frequently misused. Just explain the massacre, deliberate nature of the acts, and it's political and racist underpinnings, and it should be enough.

It would never be enough for the deniers (watch out for the line "Turkish people were so hospitable in the past and so they of course could not kill Armenian civilians... all who died were Russian soldiers!"), but for most normal people that's enough regardless of whether it was "genocide" or just a huge ethnic cleansing in the form of a massacre.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Sometimes I wonder if the Turks are embarrassed by the fact that they as a people were pretty trapped in the medieval age at the start of the 20th century, and then do their best to bury their misdeeds as deep as possible, even going as far as denying it.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Sometimes I wonder if the Turks are embarrassed by the fact that they as a people were pretty trapped in the medieval age at the start of the 20th century, and then do their best to bury their misdeeds as deep as possible, even going as far as denying it.
DIng. That's the sound of you hitting the nail on the head. Oh, and they'd also like to forget the west the other ethnic cleansing they engaged in - like against the greeks.

Having said that, unless there is anything new being presented here in the next few hours, I'll lock the topic.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Sometimes I wonder if the Turks are embarrassed by the fact that they as a people were pretty trapped in the medieval age at the start of the 20th century, and then do their best to bury their misdeeds as deep as possible, even going as far as denying it.
Then I have met a few people who said modern day Turkey is not the Ottoman empire, hence it is not our fault.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Thanas wrote:DIng. That's the sound of you hitting the nail on the head. Oh, and they'd also like to forget the west the other ethnic cleansing they engaged in - like against the greeks.
Not to mention, some of the most recent offences were committed in the 50s in the Constantinople Pogrom. There's either too much nationalistic and ethnic pride or they just plainly cannot get over their past.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:Having said that, unless there is anything new being presented here in the next few hours
I would not object, but I'd like to remind my colleague that this forum is rather slow-paced when it comes to discussion. Perhaps giving several days before locking would be better.

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Or people can simply PM you or me if they want to continue the discussion. We can always unlock topics.

EDIT: And locked.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs