USS Cole Bombing

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

USS Cole Bombing

Post by Kitsune »

This may be a bit too new for "History Forum"
If so, please move to where appropriate

What my question is if there is any discussion that due to the ship having a partially female crew that either more lives were lost or that damage control was less efficient due to their average lower strength?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: USS Cole Bombing

Post by Sea Skimmer »

From what I’ve heard the USN shifted from the P-250 portable pump to a much less powerful P-100 pump in part because it had to cut the weight of the pump so that it could be moved by women. To make it worse, the P-100 was issued in the exact same numbers as the P-250.

P-100 proved too weak to get water from the flooded engine rooms on Cole to the main deck to discharge over the side, forcing seamen to uses torches to cut through the ships hull while standing waist deep in water covered with an oil slick. If a fire had started under that situation Cole would have probably been lost, certainly more men and women would have died. Since then the USN’s solution has been to give ships adaptors that let two P-100 pumps be slaved together on a single pipe to lift water the necessary height.

In terms of the actual conduct of women on Cole though, all accounts rate them and the performance of the crew in general as exemplary. Indeed Cole not only survived a bomb blast of a size that sank several larger, not to mention armored cruisers in WW2, she did so with a large portion of her crew missing. This was because we couldn’t trust the blood supply in Yemen, so we had to send something like 90 people to the hospital alongside the wounded to act as blood donors. This meant Cole was missing over 1/3rd her total crew for the first two days.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

To be honest, I never liked hauling around the P-250 and when doing PMS on them we always uses a cart to move them around. They might have gotten enough male complaints about them as well.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Really? Huh. They were still using P-250s on my ship(of course, we were also using OBAs, so why the fuck not?). Even after we started gender integration they hadn't shifted....I wonder if they were waiting for the first post-gender-integration deployment yard period?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote:From what I’ve heard the USN shifted from the P-250 portable pump to a much less powerful P-100 pump in part because it had to cut the weight of the pump so that it could be moved by women..
ALso, P-250 was gasoline powered, P-100 was diesel, which caused a lot of horsepower to be lost, and still end up slightly lighter than P-250 - I beleive the weight disparity is like 25 lbs.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944