On this day in history.

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Maxentius
Padawan Learner

On this day in history.

Post by Maxentius »

At approximately noon, on Tuesday, May 29th, 1453, the city of Constantinople fell to Ottoman forces under the command of Mehmed II. Constantine Palaiologos, arguably the last Emperor of Rome, died fighting. His body was never definitively identified, and his ultimate fate remains unknown. At age 21, Mehmed went on to claim the title of 'Caesar', and was later called 'Mehmed the Conqueror'.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Regarding the "ultimate fate", Runciman dealt with that in his book about the fall of Constantinople.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

Thanas wrote:Regarding the "ultimate fate", Runciman dealt with that in his book about the fall of Constantinople.
It's been a while since I read Runciman's book, but I don't recall him ever stating a definitive conclusion, just several possibilities based on contemporary and near-contemporary accounts.

EDIT: I could also be confusing Runciman's The Fall of Constantinople with Nicol's The Immortal Emperor.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

There's actually a range of dates?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

There are a range of accounts on what happened to Constantine XI's body, not when the city fell. Unless you mean a date difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendar, since the latter hadn't been invented in 1453.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:There's actually a range of dates?
I'm going to presume you mean a range of dates pertaining to the Roman state? If so, the most liberal interpretation would begin with 0AUC (743 BC), and last until 29 May, 1453. Obviously, the 0AUC date does not have a specific month or day attached; it's simply too ancient. The Fall of Constantinople is benefit of an exact date because of its (relative) recentness.

More conservative ranges tend to place the end of the Roman Empire (and hold it separate from the Byzantine state) at 4 September, 476, with the abdication of Romulus Augustus.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The other dates which are usually brought forth in such a discussion are 565 (Justianian's death), 610 (start of the reforms of Heraclius which among other things changed the language from latin to greek) or 751 (loss of the exarchate of Ravenna and therefore loss of the direct control over Rome).

Another date which has been discarded nowadays was 1204, the sack of Constantinople and therefore the cause of splintering of the empire.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs