Patilla Field action, Panama 1989

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Patilla Field action, Panama 1989

Post by PeZook »

I've been reading up on the Panama Campaign, since my knowledge of the operation is vague to say the least, and I came across the Patilla Field mission performed by the Navy SEALs.

Now, from what I gathered, the mission was a result of the Navy wanting in on the action the rest of the US Army was getting, so the SEALs got to do two things: Disabling gen. Noriega's boat and his LearJet.

The second mission is what is known as Patilla Field, since that was the name of the airfield where the target was ; It was conducted by a very large SEALs force (50 men or so), and they were supposed to infiltrate the airfield, disable the Lear inside the hangar and block the runway with small airplanes.

They had an impressive array of weaponry, and even an AC-130 assigned to them.

Well, the entire op was generally a fiasco, but I couldn't help but wonder.

Why, exactly, didn't the Air Force (or, hell, even that AC-130) just blast the hangar along with the LearJet into little pices?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Is this the one where the SEALS go up against Panamanians armed with AK-47s with MP-5s and get shot to pieces?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

MKSheppard wrote:Is this the one where the SEALS go up against Panamanians armed with AK-47s with MP-5s and get shot to pieces?
Not quite, but the plan does sound like something from a bad action movie.

Essentially, a 50 odd man SEAL platoon was to be inserted into an airfield were Noriega had his learjet. They would climb a cliff near the end of the runway, then move across a mile of lighted pavement, disable the airplane and push light aircraft onto the tarmac to block it.

They were actually armed properly, but when guards woke up, they caught most SEALs outside, in the open, illuminated by landing lights. Eight dead, God knows how many wounded.

While this was happening, there was an AC-130 circling in the area, but they couldn't raise it on radio.

As I was reading this, I couldn't help but wonder: Why the hell didn't the AC-130 just blow that hangar to hell? I mean, it was just sheet metal...

I was really hoping there was some proper reason, because otherwise it seems like the US Navy was full of fucking retards.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.