Roman Cavalry Helmet Unearthed at Cumbia Showcased.

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Roman Cavalry Helmet Unearthed at Cumbia Showcased.

Post by Big Orange »

This is more interesting than the small fortune of Roman coins that were reported the other month:
Rare Roman helmet goes to auction

13 September 2010 Last updated at 17:52 Help A metal detector enthusiast in Cumbria has discovered a rare Roman bronze helmet complete with face-mask.

It is believed to be one of only three of its kind to be found in Britain.

The helmet would have been worn, possibly with colourful streamers attached, as a mark of excellence by Roman soldiers at sport parades.

Described as a "hugely important discovery", it is now expected to fetch £300,000 at Christie's Antiquities auction in London on 7 October.

The Crosby Garrett Helmet has been named after the hamlet in Cumbria where it was found in a field in May.
BBC (important video showing horseman's helmet in the link)
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Roman Cavalry Helmet Unearthed at Cumbia Showcased.

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, that is a lovely helmet. It is not that important for historical purposes (we have descriptions of them already), but it is another example of Roman horse sports and their connection to festivities.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

small revive - the Helmet has been sold to a private buyer for £2 million:
A bid by a Cumbrian museum to buy a rare Roman helmet has failed - after an anonymous phone bidder bought it for £2m.
The helmet was unearthed by a metal detector enthusiast in Crosby Garrett, near Kirkby Stephen, in May.
It had been expected to fetch up to £300,000 when it went under the hammer at Christie's in London.
Carlisle's Tullie House was one of the bidders but was not successful.
However, the museum said it had not given up hopes of being able to keep the helmet in Cumbria.
Rest of the article at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-11489189
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I don't know if I would call that a failed sale. Two million pounds is enough to take care of the guy who found the helmet rather well, even after whatever taxes he has to pay are taken care of.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I would like to see if the private owner of the helmet has the knowledge to preserve it properly. It will be ironic if the helmet further degrade as a result of poor handling.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

Slacker, the article wasn't calling it a failed sale, it was saying that the local museum failed to win the helmet.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I think anyone able to put up 2 million Sterling for such a thing is able to spend a bit more to keep it properly. You know, like a sealed chamber or something, filled with some non-reactive gas to keep oxygen away. A bit of investment, true, but probably not in the 1-2% ballpark of the purchase.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

xt828 wrote:Slacker, the article wasn't calling it a failed sale, it was saying that the local museum failed to win the helmet.

Oh jeez, I fail at reading comprehension.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber