Question about hiroshima and nagasaki

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Stuart
Sith Devotee

Re: Question about hiroshima and nagasaki

Post by Stuart »

Count Chocula wrote:Stuart, while you're correct that MAD was not an officially used acronym for US policy, and that we don't deliberately target civilian populations, there is little doubt that civilian populations are targeted in nuclear attack/defense scenarios.
No they are not. Have you ever targetted a nuclear strike?

Please understand I know more about nuclear strategy that Wkipedia authors could ever even dream of.
Good ol' McNamara later articulated MAD
No, he did not. MAD was articulated by Don Brennan, a close personal friend of mine.

fixed your quote tags. ~fg
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

fixed your quote tags. ~fg

Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Quote snip:
(we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
Damn...grim days, I'd imagine. As an aside, I'm aware that we have pretty accurate warheads; how do Soviet MIRV accuracy and yields compare to ours? I'm guessing they have a higher CEP and larger warheads, but that's only a guess.

In a full exchange, I'd expect the US to have higher collateral damage (i.e. dead civvies) than Russia would. I'm assuming Chinese nukes have much poorer accuracy than Russian warheads, but given the massive amounts of technology transfer I could be wrong on that as well.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Count Chocula wrote:Damn...grim days, I'd imagine.
Not really, in fact it was a lot of fun. I was working with a truly great bunch of people who went out of their way to teach the neophytes the tricks of the trade. It was very interesting in painstaking work and gave one a real sense of achievement. It also had elements of a puzzle that one had to fit together in order to get a plan that worked. The really heartbreaking day was the one when Herman died, that was horrible, it was like somebody suddenly turned the lights out. I still miss that wonderful man. From 1991 onwards we met the guys who were doing the same job for the other side. Now those were parties.
As an aside, I'm aware that we have pretty accurate warheads; how do Soviet MIRV accuracy and yields compare to ours? I'm guessing they have a higher CEP and larger warheads, but that's only a guess.
That's pretty fair. Russian CEP is getting worse though as they try and think up countermeasures to BMD. That's why they're so agin' us having it.
In a full exchange, I'd expect the US to have higher collateral damage (i.e. dead civvies) than Russia would.
It doesn't really work like that. What one hits has far more impact on death tolls than how accurately one hits it. For example a counter-force strike hitting the missile silos in the mid-West would use almost entirely ground bursts and they'd blanket most of the US with fallout causing an appalling death toll. On the other hand, a counter-industry strile would use mostly air bursts and they'd cause far less (far, far less) fallout and the death toll would be much less even though the initiations were over cities. A lot of things in the nuclear business are counter-intuitive like that.
I'm assuming Chinese nukes have much poorer accuracy than Russian warheads, but given the massive amounts of technology transfer I could be wrong on that as well.
The Chinese missiles are pretty inaccurate. Quick rule of thumb, to guess the accuracy of a missile, look at thr size of its warhead(s). The smaller the warheads, the more accurate the missile.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Stuart wrote:Not really, in fact it was a lot of fun.
I've always known that military service warps the moral perceptions of a human, but I guess working in nuclear targeting warps it to extremes where morbid things become funny in a way.
Stuart wrote:The tests are A - were those people deliberately targeted and B- was the means used disproportionate to the strategic objective. If the answer to those questions is "No" then exterminating the entire population of a country is entirely legal under the laws of war.
This is a huge fallacy though. "Strategic objective" itself may be considered criminal in case it causes mass excess deaths of civilian population. The Germans had a "strategic objective" of recolonizing newly conquered territories, which obviously required exterminating the entirety, or close to that, of the existing population. Thus, the nature of the objective of the military operation is itself brought into question. If you have an objective to destroy urban factories but this results in the entire population of the nation dying, that cannot be considered "legal" unless there is no other way period, or all other ways result in yet greater civilian casualties. The use of force might be "proportionate" in the sense that it is enough, but if other methods exist, which yield lower casualties, it would still not be legal.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Stas Bush wrote: I've always known that military service warps the moral perceptions of a human, but I guess working in nuclear targeting warps it to extremes where morbid things become funny in a way.
We've got the best graveyard humor ever created. For example, one of our get-rich-quick schemes in the event of a nuclear strike coming in was to identify the targets and then sell short on the city bonds in question. It really was a good environment to work in though, one learned an incredible amount very quickly and about the most esoteric of subjects, some of the people I worked with had backgrounds that could only be described as bizarre yet their expertise was indispensible. Also, I still know my way around Russian cities by the strategic targeting desiderata. "The way to the Stadium? Yes certainly, we're standing at ground zero now. Go south until you reach the 100psi line, then turn left and follow the thermal pulse until you meet the reflector wave off the ridgline. Allow yourself to be carried along by that wave until its reinforced by the blast wave from the second initiation. Take the road that's perpendicular to the primary shock vector and the stadium will be the third collapsing building on your right"

Told you we had graveyard humor down perfectly. :angelic:
Stuart wrote:"Strategic objective" itself may be considered criminal in case it causes mass excess deaths of civilian population.
Yes indeed, no argument there. In my comments it was presumed that the target system adopted was itself legal under international law. Taking out military installations, factory complexes producing military equipment (which these days means all of them) and so on are legitimate target systems and are therefore covered. Taking things to extremes, a target system that concentrated on blowing up orphanages would not be legitimate because a nation's orphanages would have no military value that would justify any level of civilian deaths. So, yes, you are quite correct, some target systems are illegal due to their lack of military value and therefore any level of civilian deaths associated with that attack would be a war crime.
The Germans had a "strategic objective" of recolonizing newly conquered territories, which obviously required exterminating the entirety, or close to that, of the existing population. Thus, the nature of the objective of the military operation is itself brought into question.
Again, agreed. In fact "recolonization" as a strategic objective is very precisely and emphatically declared a illegal under international law and that goes back beyond WW1. In fact, its actually illegal to recolonize by mass movement of population let alone by mass extermination. Viewed utterly ruthlessly, that might not be a bad thing. If territorial realignments are necessary, then shifting populations around (with due care and as much decency as is possible under the circumstances) might well be the most humane alternative. It's arguable that under some circumstances, a population shift could be the lest-bad alternative.
If you have an objective to destroy urban factories but this results in the entire population of the nation dying, that cannot be considered "legal" unless there is no other way period, or all other ways result in yet greater civilian casualties. The use of force might be "proportionate" in the sense that it is enough, but if other methods exist, which yield lower casualties, it would still not be legal.
Again, no argument there, if cat you've summarized the situation very well. In the strategic nuclear business though, the problem was that we had to be able to get at the militarized infrastructure of the Soviet Union. WW2 proved that eliminating said military industrial infrastructure had to be done totally and in a very short time-span if it was to be effective; the ranges involved meant doing so was extremely difficult. We only had two options for getting through to destroy that infrastructure, bombers and ICBMs. By the time I was involved in The Business, that devolved to a single system, missiles. Nobody liked that but we were stuck with it. We had no option but to use missiles, the missiles were inaccurate primarily due to their range so to compensate for the lack of accuracy we had to use big warheads and that inevitably meant a large civilian death toll. So, there was no alternative and that was that. As we got alternatives, more accurate missiles, we were able to use smaller and smaller warheads, thus reducing the civilian collateral damage and satisfying the proportionality requirement.

The classic example of proportionality is a small town where the congregation of a local church is in said church but there's a sniper in the tower creating havoc. Dropping a strategic nuclear warhead on the town and wiping the entire population out would be considered disproportionate but bringing up a howitzer and firing it over open sights to destroy the church (killing most if not all the civilians inside) would (is) considered proportionate.

By the way, using civilians as a shield or siting military targets within civilian areas is also a war crime and doing so eliminates the protections granted to the civilian population. So if, for example, an enemy commander deliberately sets up an artillery battery in an orphanage courtyard, the gloves come off right there and we more or less have a free hand to do our worst. That's why the Russian Army didn't do anything (legally) wrong in the Chechnya business (operationally wrong is entirely another matter). The way the Chechens conducted themselves basically eliminated the legal protection for their civilian population.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Kanastrous wrote:IIRC Hiroshima was home to the Japanese Imperial Army HQ for the whole southern region of Japan, and also hosted an aircraft engine factory plus a variety of other war-materiel industries.

Had we not used nuclear weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, their fate may have been just the same or even worse - witness what was done to Tokyo with conventional weapons.

Then there's the fact that, absent an unconditional Japanese surrender the Allies would have implemented their home-island invasion strategy. I don't recall the casualty estimates offhand, but I think the figure for Japanese civilians alone was put somewhere around one million dead, plus their military casualties, plus our own.
The estimated casualties for the invasion of Japan was so high that the United States is still using the Purple Hearts made for the operation and we still haven't run out. The low end estimate of the killed and wounded on the part of the US was 500,000.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Karrick wrote:Two questions now. First, I thought the Russians invaded Manchuria after the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. I was also under the impression that Hiroshima was a really crummy target for firebombing because of the way it's split up by large rivers (natural firebreaks). This is not to say it wouldn't have been firebombed (or just bombed) anyway, but it was really low on the list. Am I wrong on either or both of these?
"Natural firebreaks" such as rivers going through cities normally aren't large enough to stop a genuine firestorm or conflagration such as a firebombing causes. As an example of this, in 1871 when the Chicago Fire broke out and turned into a firestorm (a naturally occuring one, but still a firestorm) the flames jumped the Chicago River at least three times. A river the size of, say, the Mississippi where it passes by St. Louis might do it, but most rivers aren't that wide along most of their length. Sure, rivers might slow down the formation of a firestorm/conflagration but once it gets going they don't make much, if any, difference. So, just concentrate your napalm upwind of the river to get the fire going there and nature will take care of the rest.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

You can burn down a city without a firestorm just fine; most cities destroyed in Japan didn’t suffer them, and according to some research Shep found the ‘firestorm’ at Hiroshima was in fact far below the threshold of intensity the USAAF considered to be a firestorm event…. For all the difference that made. Also by mid 1945 the Japanese had implemented a policy of building firebreaks through cities, regardless of costs, by simply tearing down long swaths of buildings by hand. This greatly aggravated the nations housing shortage in the aftermath of so much city burning, but it did reduce the effectiveness of bombing.

The conventional bombers didn’t and couldn’t strike all at once, so the latter waves of bombers would deliberately aim around the edges of the first fires, expanding the area encompassed and nullifying firefighting efforts.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

All right, in a little aside, how much of an impact deed Operation August Storm have in making Tokyo decide to face reality in comparision to Hiroshim and Nagasaki?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Most our historians consider 50/50. So do some American and Japanese academics. I do not know if there's any "official" statement anyone ever made to that effect, it's difficult to judge. Both were pretty heavy strikes against Japanese military leadership's position.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Pelranius wrote:All right, in a little aside, how much of an impact deed Operation August Storm have in making Tokyo decide to face reality in comparision to Hiroshim and Nagasaki?
By the way, the name "Operation August Storm" was invented by David Glantz; it has no official credibility. The correct (Russian) name was "Manchurian Strategic Offensive"

As to how important it was? Almost impossible to say. There's very little doubt that the nuclear laydown on Nagasaki was the critical proximate cause of the Japanese collapse but that's rather like saying the victim of a hanging died when the rope broke his neck. It's true, but it eliminates an awful lot of other factors. I'd say the Russian Manchurian Offensive was critical in that it showed the Japanese there was no way out, that Japan was going to be destroyed no matter what happened and that a quick surrender was the only way to prevent that. If the Russian offensive hadn't happened, the Japanese might have wasted more time trying their futile "surrender" approaches (that were actually without substance) and then a third device would have seen Kyoto or Nagoya experience a dose of instant sunrise.

So, I'd say the Russian invasion accelerated the end of the war and probably saved a lot of Japanese civilian lives
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

By the way, the name "Operation August Storm" was invented by David Glantz; it has no official credibility.
I think Glantz never even put this as the name of the operation; it was merely the title of his article (kinda like "Ten Stalin's Strikes" is not the official name of the 1944-1945 operations, but the title of quite a few historical books about them).

Assalti Frontali
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Stuart wrote:
Stas Bush wrote: I've always known that military service warps the moral perceptions of a human, but I guess working in nuclear targeting warps it to extremes where morbid things become funny in a way.
We've got the best graveyard humor ever created.
Ha! And I remember being in Germany for REFORGER 1987 and hearing the comment, "The biggest problem with Germany is that all the towns are only about two kilotons apart!"
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Sea Skimmer wrote:The decision to let Hirohito and the Imperial family off the hook was made by MacArthur; despite members of the Imperial family themselves advising him to have the Emperor abdicate the throne. MacArthur went so far as to see that other top war criminals like Tojo were given time to spin stories that would protect the Emperor from even the slightest responsibility, and he also found time to grant immunity to members of Unit 731 on his own authority as well.
I've seen Herbert Bix (who wrote the Pulitzer Prize winning biography of Hirohito) go on repeatedly about how the U.S. didn't secure the Japanese Imperial Archives until 1946, giving the Japanese plenty of time to burn every really incriminating document that they could get their hands on. It's still an astounding to me, and Bix was always rather livid about it.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote:You can burn down a city without a firestorm just fine; most cities destroyed in Japan didn’t suffer them, and according to some research Shep found the ‘firestorm’ at Hiroshima was in fact far below the threshold of intensity the USAAF considered to be a firestorm event…. For all the difference that made.
From DPCA Attack Manual:

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Stuart wrote:
Pelranius wrote:All right, in a little aside, how much of an impact deed Operation August Storm have in making Tokyo decide to face reality in comparision to Hiroshim and Nagasaki?
By the way, the name "Operation August Storm" was invented by David Glantz; it has no official credibility. The correct (Russian) name was "Manchurian Strategic Offensive"

As to how important it was? Almost impossible to say. There's very little doubt that the nuclear laydown on Nagasaki was the critical proximate cause of the Japanese collapse but that's rather like saying the victim of a hanging died when the rope broke his neck. It's true, but it eliminates an awful lot of other factors. I'd say the Russian Manchurian Offensive was critical in that it showed the Japanese there was no way out, that Japan was going to be destroyed no matter what happened and that a quick surrender was the only way to prevent that. If the Russian offensive hadn't happened, the Japanese might have wasted more time trying their futile "surrender" approaches (that were actually without substance) and then a third device would have seen Kyoto or Nagoya experience a dose of instant sunrise.

So, I'd say the Russian invasion accelerated the end of the war and probably saved a lot of Japanese civilian lives
There are some scholars who claim that Tokyo didn't appreciate the full import of the Manchurian Strategic Offensive since although the IJA command knew that the Soviets were attacking, they didn't know the extent of the Soviet advance. I've never bought that approach myself since the IJA might not exactly know which exactly when each Soviet division rolled through which town (and I'm not exactly convinced that the IJA lost all communications with the Kwantung Army after the start of Soviet operations) they would be smart enough to add two and two together. They'd seen what the Soviets where capable of in 1937 and they'd probably heard about the Eastern Front from their Berlin attaches.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Pelranius wrote: There are some scholars who claim that Tokyo didn't appreciate the full import of the Manchurian Strategic Offensive since although the IJA command knew that the Soviets were attacking, they didn't know the extent of the Soviet advance. I've never bought that approach myself since the IJA might not exactly know which exactly when each Soviet division rolled through which town (and I'm not exactly convinced that the IJA lost all communications with the Kwantung Army after the start of Soviet operations) they would be smart enough to add two and two together. They'd seen what the Soviets where capable of in 1937 and they'd probably heard about the Eastern Front from their Berlin attaches.
Knowing how command control functions, I'd agree with the "they had no idea of the situation on the ground" line. Not in detail anyway, they probably had a gross idea but the fine details were probably unknown to them. I don't think it mattered though; I think what was important was the fact that the Russians had attacked in massive strength. Really, they didn't need any more than that, the simple fact of the assault was enough to tell them the game was up. There was, quite literally, nowhere left to go. It didn't matter what they did, they were toast, badly charred and definately overdone toast. At that point, nothing else mattered. For example, the Japanese Army in China was still winning virtually every encounter it had with the Chinese Army as late as July 1945, if the IJA in China wanted to advance somewhere, it advanced there. It just didn't matter any more. The Japanese Army could go where it liked, the Japanese homeland was about to be destroyed and there was no way of stopping it.

Using the hanging analogy, I think the best way of looking at it is like this. The US advances, submarine blockade and elimination of supply routes was the gallows, the Russian invasion of Manchuria was the trapdoor and the nuclear destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was the rope. The rope actually did the killing but we needed all three to carry out a nice clean execution.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Coyote wrote: Ha! And I remember being in Germany for REFORGER 1987 and hearing the comment, "The biggest problem with Germany is that all the towns are only about two kilotons apart!"
That sounds like us. One of the interesting things about targeteering the strike described in The Big One was finding out that most cities in Germany were almost perfectly sized for destruction by Hiroshima-era nuclear devices. They were compact enough to ensure that nearly all the population and everything of value was within the lethal radii of the weapons used. So a good description of Germany is that it has 35 kiloton cities about two kilotons apart. That's why The Big One strike effectively eliminated Germany, one one took out the essential strategic targets, there simply wasn't much left. It's a classic illustration of what Grazhdanin Stas was saying about the very fine line between collateral damage and genocide. Take a relatively small country, packed with strategic targets close together and the collateral damage is everybody and everything. It was that realization that changed people's mind about strategic bombing.

That's a very important point by the way. It's very easy to look back on strategic bombing in the 1940s with horror because we have hindsight, we know where the path leads and it shakes our souls. But, back then, strategic bombing was regarded as the humane way to make war. The over-riding demand was to avoid the mind-numbing slaughter of World War One, the perceived answer was to destroy the industries that supplied the war machines and created the armies. Without those industries, a nation couldn't fight. It didn't help that the destructive power of bomber forces was wholly underestimated. An example.

Hands up everybody who knew that the Fairey Battle was a strategic bomber? It was, it was a single-engined strategic bomber intended to attack targets that were relatively close to the front line, for example the factories in the Ruhr. It's bombload, four 250 pound bombs, was chosen because it was believed that was adequate to destroy any factory. One bomber, one dead factory. It never occurred to people that a factory could be repaired (and that's forgetting the fact that the damage inflicted by four 250 pound bombs turned out to be inconsequential). Look at those presumptions and a lot about the strategic bombing offensive suddenly makes sense. It was assumed we could end the war and stop the WW1 style slaughter by dropping a few bombs. A quick and humane way to end the war.

When it turned out that factories were much, much harder to destroy than people realized, that they could be repaired, that non-essential factories could be stripped to keep the essential ones running, that just hitting a factory was much harder than anybody had ever realized, then it became obvious that bigger and deadlier raids were essential to acheive the aim. And, eventually, that line of argument produced The Big One. By the way, that was forseen in late 1940 by the war planners in the USA. When they produced AWPD-1, it envisaged a series of mass raids by B-36s that would destroy German industry in a very compressed period of time. Nuclear weapons made AWPD-1 possible, it wouldn't have worked with conventional bombs.

That's pretty much why everybody took the use of nuclear weapons in 1945 for granted. It was just a way of making an accepted doctrine work.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Stuart wrote:
Hands up everybody who knew that the Fairey Battle was a strategic bomber? It was, it was a single-engined strategic bomber intended to attack targets that were relatively close to the front line, for example the factories in the Ruhr. It's bombload, four 250 pound bombs, was chosen because it was believed that was adequate to destroy any factory. One bomber, one dead factory. It never occurred to people that a factory could be repaired (and that's forgetting the fact that the damage inflicted by four 250 pound bombs turned out to be inconsequential). Look at those presumptions and a lot about the strategic bombing offensive suddenly makes sense. It was assumed we could end the war and stop the WW1 style slaughter by dropping a few bombs. A quick and humane way to end the war.
How much of this misconception was due to ignorance and how much was due to dishonesty on the part of the airforces of the time?

I know when the USAAF first said planes made ships obselete they did so through a demonstration where they sank a German WW1 ship. What they did not tell everyone was that all of the doors on the ship were left open to maximize flooding. Which makes me wonder how many honest assessments were done of bombing capabilities and how much was scare tactics and lies to get more money for the fledgling airforces.
I KILL YOU!!!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Alot of people honestly thought that bombing and air battles were going to determine the future- the fighting in the Pacific partially vindicated them with it mostly being carrier battles and with the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Remember, these guys didn't realize exactly how hard it was to take out entrenched targets with battleship weapons- in WW2, the Navy for some time thought that just by shelling the crap out of things they could kill all the defenders. They learnt that it wasn't as effective as they had planned at Tarawa.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Samuel wrote:Alot of people honestly thought that bombing and air battles were going to determine the future- the fighting in the Pacific partially vindicated them with it mostly being carrier battles and with the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Remember, these guys didn't realize exactly how hard it was to take out entrenched targets with battleship weapons- in WW2, the Navy for some time thought that just by shelling the crap out of things they could kill all the defenders. They learnt that it wasn't as effective as they had planned at Tarawa.
Yeah, and the Army(at least in the Italian Theater) thought that naval gunfire support as a preliminary to invasion was worth less than the "surprise" that would come from unsupported landings. VADM Hewitt waving a 10 page stack of every German MG Nest and arty battery within shelling range at Clark notwithstanding.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Bilbo wrote:How much of this misconception was due to ignorance and how much was due to dishonesty on the part of the airforces of the time?
Very little of either I think. People were genuinely horrified by the trench warfare of WW1, the conditions it entailed and the death toll it brought about. There was very much a "there must be another way" mindset that, at one end resulted in the great pacifist movements and at the other, fascination with new military technologies. That's why we see the Fullerites pumping the tank and armored warfare, the surge of interest in submarines, aircraft carriers etc and, of course Air Forces with their theories of strategic bombing. They all had the same basic motivation, make sure the Western Front never happens again.

The problem was that, particularly in the case of strategic bombardment, nobody had any practical experience to work on. What they did have was a very limited experience of bombing, mostly by Zeppelins, in WW1 and the results there were extraordinary. For example there really was mass panic in British cities with people running in the evening to sleep in fields outside the city limits (which was a bit absurd since the Zeppelins couldn't find their ass with both hands and a GPS system). The prophets also used 'common sense'. Take an average factory, pile 1,000 pounds of explosive inside it, touch it off and that factory is gone. They did experiments, as best they could, and used the results. The whole problem was they were dealing with a vastly more complex problem than they realized; they lacked the one thing needed to make sense of it all and that was experience. By the time they got enough, it was 1944.
I know when the USAAF first said planes made ships obselete they did so through a demonstration where they sank a German WW1 ship. What they did not tell everyone was that all of the doors on the ship were left open to maximize flooding. Which makes me wonder how many honest assessments were done of bombing capabilities and how much was scare tactics and lies to get more money for the fledgling airforces.
It was actually the USAAC, Mitshell and the battleship Ostfriesland. The situation there was much more complex than you're suggesting. Of course, there were budget battles going on (which is why you should NEVER believe ANYTHING you read that was presented as part of a budget meeting). However, the search for 'there must be another way' was genuine and in good faith, the people involved may have used shady methods sometimes but they did so in the sincere belief they were acting for the common good.

At the other end of the scale, the pacifists were equally guilty of sharp practice and were equally sincere in their beliefs. They also had no experience to work from so they were theorizing and guessing. In their case, their leading prophet came up with this gem.
No cause, however just can warrant the indiscriminate slaughter that is going on minute to minute ... I do not want Britain to be defeated, nor do I want her to be victorious in a trial of brute strength ... I want you to fight Nazism without arms ... I want you to lay down the arms you have as being useless for saving you or humanity. You will invite Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini to take what they want of the countries you call your possessions. Let them take possession of your beautiful island with your many beautiful buildings. You will give all these, but neither your souls nor your minds. If these gentlemen choose to occupy your homes, you will vacate them. If they do not give you free passage out, you will allow yourself, man, woman and child to be slaughtered, but you will refuse to owe allegiance to them ... I am telling His Excellency the Viceroy that my services are at the disposal of His Majesty�s Government, should they consider them of any practical use in enhancing my appeal
That was Mahatma Ghandi of course. I must confess an irretrievable prejudice against the sanctimonious jerk for reasons of family history. (if you want to know why, look up the name of Ghandi's prime squeeze).
Ma Deuce
Sith Marauder

Post by Ma Deuce »

That was Mahatma Ghandi of course. I must confess an irretrievable prejudice against the sanctimonious jerk for reasons of family history. (if you want to know why, look up the name of Ghandi's prime squeeze).
Madeline Slade? I didn't realize you were related.

Anyway, I've never seen that Ghandi quote, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. After all, Ghandi also literally suggested that european Jews in Germany or Nazi occupied territories facing extermination should have committed collective suicide rather than attempting to flee or resist, as that would have been the "heroic" thing to do. Wonder what Einstein thought about that.
The M2HB: The Greatest Machinegun Ever Made.
HAB: Crew-Served Weapons Specialist

"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope." --P.J. O'Rourke

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --J.S. Mill
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Stuart wrote:
Bilbo wrote:How much of this misconception was due to ignorance and how much was due to dishonesty on the part of the airforces of the time?
Very little of either I think. People were genuinely horrified by the trench warfare of WW1, the conditions it entailed and the death toll it brought about. There was very much a "there must be another way" mindset that, at one end resulted in the great pacifist movements and at the other, fascination with new military technologies. That's why we see the Fullerites pumping the tank and armored warfare, the surge of interest in submarines, aircraft carriers etc and, of course Air Forces with their theories of strategic bombing. They all had the same basic motivation, make sure the Western Front never happens again.

The problem was that, particularly in the case of strategic bombardment, nobody had any practical experience to work on. What they did have was a very limited experience of bombing, mostly by Zeppelins, in WW1 and the results there were extraordinary. For example there really was mass panic in British cities with people running in the evening to sleep in fields outside the city limits (which was a bit absurd since the Zeppelins couldn't find their ass with both hands and a GPS system). The prophets also used 'common sense'. Take an average factory, pile 1,000 pounds of explosive inside it, touch it off and that factory is gone. They did experiments, as best they could, and used the results. The whole problem was they were dealing with a vastly more complex problem than they realized; they lacked the one thing needed to make sense of it all and that was experience. By the time they got enough, it was 1944.
It was actually the USAAC, Mitshell and the battleship Ostfriesland. The situation there was much more complex than you're suggesting. Of course, there were budget battles going on (which is why you should NEVER believe ANYTHING you read that was presented as part of a budget meeting). However, the search for 'there must be another way' was genuine and in good faith, the people involved may have used shady methods sometimes but they did so in the sincere belief they were acting for the common good.

At the other end of the scale, the pacifists were equally guilty of sharp practice and were equally sincere in their beliefs. They also had no experience to work from so they were theorizing and guessing. In their case, their leading prophet came up with this gem.
But hope, puppy dogs, and flower power does not make it true. It is one thing to think there is a better way that does not involve the pointless slaughter of the trenches. But it is another thing to risk your nations security on it without testing the idea decently.

No one could think a Battle would work as an effective bomber if even one test flight and bombing run had been done on a factory mockup. Which suggests to me that no test run was done and they just assumed 1000lbs worth of bombs dropped on the roof would destroy the whole place.
I KILL YOU!!!