Our Flavian Amphitheatre is considerably less brutal, but the idea is similar: whereas debates are strewn all over the forum, they are relatively uncontrolled. Debates in this forum are strictly limited: normal users cannot post here, so debate is limited to those who have chosen to clash on a particular subject matter which will be agreed-upon beforehand.
The general rules of debating apply: for example, combatants will be expected to acknowledge opponents' points rather than ignoring them, and they will be expected to provide supporting evidence for claims when challenged. Moreover, as per the rules of formal debates, combatants will be expected to make arguments in their own words. Simply linking or quoting someone else's argument on the Internet (or even elsewhere on this forum) is not acceptable, any more than one could walk into a formal debate and simply throw a magazine at his opponent with the words "answer that". Such sources can be mentioned only as references or data sources, not as arguments.
- Only the staff can create new threads in this forum. Combatants can reply in a thread that has already been created, but they cannot create new threads.
- The subject of a thread will be explained in the opening post, which will always be made by a staff member.
- Failure to stay on subject may lead to a thread being closed so that no further replies can be posted.
- Posts made in this forum will not be moved to the Hall of Shame, except in the case of extraordinary circumstances such as discussion of illegal acts, posting links to child porn, etc.
- Any extra conditions for any particular debate subject will be explained in the opening post for that thread.