Unknown Warsie Attack

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Unknown Warsie Attack

Post by AdmiralKanos »

The Timothy Jones FAQ makes reference to his infamous "unknown Warsie attack", where he accuses you of saying things you've never said, and when challenged, claims that they're common Warsie arguments (without giving a name for this "unknown Warsie", of course).

As on the earlier "Name of Fallacy" thread, I'm curious about what name one would put to this fallacy. It's clearly a strawman, but it's a particular variation of the strawman; sort of a combined Hasty Generalization/Strawman fallacy. He generates a strawman, doesn't even bother attributing it to a particular person, and then expects all members of a particular group to defend that strawman.

How common is this fallacy? After being falsely accused of saying that no one is moral except for atheists (the "unknown atheist" attack?), it occurs to me that it is probably quite common indeed.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I'd call it "The Phantom Strawman" or possibly "The Phantom Menace." :)
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

The "Hopeful Strawman"

The "Magnetic Strawman"

The "Strawman Vaccuum"

Could someone please post an example of this chimera strawman as I may be then able to determine how common it is?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

When he has said that, it usually means that he is attempting to second-guess his opponenets and their next moves in the debates. Unfortunately for him, he is no where near smart enough to be able to pull that off, so his "counter-arguments" for "common Warsie attacks" make him look smart because he is able to beat up on arguments like the ones he usually comes up with. Since his "common warsie arguments" are as stupid as his, he can easily defeat them if he thinks about them for a little while.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Why not call it "A dumb fucking sonofabitch's desperate attempt at avoiding the furnace"?

Tarish take him! :mrgreen:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.