Medicine and Religion-Right or Wrong?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Wicked Pilot wrote:God created bacteria, viruses, etc. Man created antibodies, vaccines, etc.

Man is cool, God is a shithead. Any questions?
God created antibodies, actually.

Well sort of. I guess man makes them. But God invented them.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Trouble is of course, that the parents really do think they're doing what's best for the child (most of the time). to most religions, the state of the immortal soul is more important than the length or quality of life.
What can you do? You can't force medical procedures on people.
1. Anyone who beliefs that it is in the best interrest of his/hers child to die, when a simple medical procedure could save the childs life is not fit to be a parent, no matter what the reason/justification/excuse for the belief is.

2. Why on Earth would someone worship a god so cruel that he'll condemn an infant to eternal anguish in hell for receiving a blood transfusion is beyond me.

3. I don't want to force medical procedures on people, I just want to stop people from killing their children because of silly superstitious beliefs. Yes, I do equate letting your child die when you could have saved him/her with killing your child.

Leaving an infant in a car for a even few minutes can result the parent being charged with neglect or child endanngerment. If the child dies in the car the parent can be charged with recless endangerment or even manslaugher. Leaving a child in a car with the specific intent of causing the child to die can result in a attempted homicide charge, even if the child doesn't die, if the child does die the parent might get slapped with a 1st degree murder charge.
However for some reason denying your child a life saving medical procedure, knowing that this will very likely cause the death of your child, because of your religious beliefs is all OK. How dumb is that?
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

innerbrat wrote:God created antibodies, actually.
Then he should have been a nice guy and shared his creation with Adam and Eve, as opposed to letting literally thousands of generations suffer from now curable deseases. God is not just a shithead, he's a selfish indifferent shithead.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
Then he should have been a nice guy and shared his creation with Adam and Eve, as opposed to letting literally thousands of generations suffer from now curable deseases. God is not just a shithead, he's a selfish indifferent shithead.
I would try the other conclusion that, if he exists, he has the power to boss around primitive pre-steam post-neanderthal cultures, but not much else. And he's not much brighter than a person with the wits to do same. It could be that he's not a bastard, just impotent.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
What are you talking about? Antibodies are part of the immune system - if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have survived those thousands of generations. Granted giving God the credit for yet another obvious invention of evolution is just plain stupid, but you needn't resort to building strawmen.
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.