Tesserects, Fractals & Wormholes

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Tesserects, Fractals & Wormholes

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Anyone got any information about constructs that are supposably in violation of Geometic law?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
ClaysGhost
Jedi Knight

Post by ClaysGhost »

Which geometry, and what do you mean by "violate"? Google probably lists plenty of sites going on about these things.
(3.13, 1.49, -1.01)
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I wasn't aware a tesseract violated geometry, since it's not a three-dimensional construct (I know at least four-dimensional geometry exists, we studied some of it in HS precalculus).
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Theres this scifi RPG called Valence 592 (shameless plug for a beloved thing) and in the game they use "Tesser[act]s" for FTL. Supposedly it comes from the book that inspired Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (I believe the book was called Into the Looking Glass or something)
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

What are "geometric laws"? I've never heard of them. There are theorems which hold true in a Euclydian space, but that's all.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

There's also a mention of tesseracts in A wrinkle in time, by Madeleine L'Engle.
Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract. You add that to the other four dimensions and you can travel through space without having to go the long way around. In other words to put it into Euclid, or old-fashioned plane geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

The problem is that the fifth dimension, according to M theory, is coiled up and imperceptible to us. :)
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

My understanding was that fractals are just complex geometric shapes, with most of the images you see being produced from complex number sets like the mandelbrot or julia sets. The colors you see are a graphic overlay showing how many iterations it took to determine whether a certain number was part of the set. The underlying math is an attempt to describe complex objects like the distribution of branches and leaves on a tree, or the potential path of water droplets. In fact, a tree would make a good example of a fractal. So, fractals aren't breaking any geometric laws I know of, rather they're one more form.