Scramjet Success?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Scramjet Success?

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2160502.stm

Looks like the Aussies may have done what NASA couldn't.

Also, I see Boeing are starting up their anti-gravity drive project again to rival BAe Systems. 8)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The problem is not in proving that scramjets can work, that has already been demostrated, in theory anyway. The major hurdle has always been, how do you get the scram jet up to functional velocity in the first place? And it's that hurdle that is holding us all back.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Crown wrote:The problem is not in proving that scramjets can work, that has already been demostrated, in theory anyway. The major hurdle has always been, how do you get the scram jet up to functional velocity in the first place? And it's that hurdle that is holding us all back.
Well in the experiment they used a rocket booster for the engine, though how does the SR-71 get into the air seeing as how it is a ramjet?
Akm72
Padawan Learner

Post by Akm72 »

The J58 engines on the SR71 are combined turbojet/ramjets - at high speeds the compressor, burner, and turbine of the turbojet are bypassed, and all the air is fed straight to the afterburner section.

Try this link if you want to know more;

http://www.marchfield.org/sr71a.htm
"Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it."
- Dan Barker
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Akm72 wrote:The J58 engines on the SR71 are combined turbojet/ramjets - at high speeds the compressor, burner, and turbine of the turbojet are bypassed, and all the air is fed straight to the afterburner section.

Try this link if you want to know more;

http://www.marchfield.org/sr71a.htm
Cheers, I did wonder but kept forgetting to look it up. :)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Originally posted by Admiral Valdemar
Well in the experiment they used a rocket booster for the engine
Yeah I know, but the bitch of the problem, is that one of the appeals of scramjet tech, is that it could reduce the cost of launching things into space, however if we need a rocket in order to get it up and work in the first place, then it's essentially useless.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Crown wrote:The problem is not in proving that scramjets can work, that has already been demostrated, in theory anyway. The major hurdle has always been, how do you get the scram jet up to functional velocity in the first place? And it's that hurdle that is holding us all back.
I looked into what they were trying to achieve with HyShot (UQ's my old university, so I'm always interested in what the Engineering department is up to).

Anyway, they've apparently been testing their scramjets in the monster shock tunnel they've got in the basement of the main engineering building - what they're after with HyShot is the opportunity to correlate the shock tunnel results with 'in the field' results of a scramjet firing in atmosphere.

So it's more a matter of trying to validate the models they are using in the lab, rather than trying out a scramjet - the scramjet engine they fired didn't even generate net thrust.

Still cool though :)
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Definately cool, and how come UQ get's a massive bloody transonic windtunnel, at RMIT all we have is one the size of a drink bottle, that goes up to Mach 3 I believe...we suck!