News story about Mars.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

News story about Mars.

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 074940.htm

Anyone catch this today? I saw the story on the news section of Google.

Its about an idea that Mars has been cold and dry most of its life, with very short periods of wet and warm.
data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

Don't you just hate it when hard science smashes your pet theories? So much for life on mars... :(
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Maybe some bacteria adapted to the cold life. Who knows?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

rocks from mines 400 feet below the surface have been cracked open and there have been microbes living and thriving in the rock. I think its very likely that the entirety of mars is infused with life. And theres always the pyramids and the face and the hidden underground alien bases :)
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

kojikun wrote:rocks from mines 400 feet below the surface have been cracked open and there have been microbes living and thriving in the rock. I think its very likely that the entirety of mars is infused with life. And theres always the pyramids and the face and the hidden underground alien bases :)
Quiet you. Nobody must know about my bases.

Though the new report doesn't entirely rule out the possibility of life, it does kinda make it more unlikely to have extremely advanced forms. I think.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

kojikun wrote:<snip>And theres always the pyramids and the face and the hidden underground alien bases :)
The pyramids and face have been found to be normal rock formations that cast unusual shadows. Unless, of course, you're a conspiracy theorist, in which case paranoia away!
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

If this new theory is true, it sorta puts a downer on Mars having a different climate at one time.

Im starting to wonder if the conditions for life are very rare. I saw a show on tv recently about the role Jupiter plays in allowing life to exist on Earth.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

But what about the fossilized microbes found in an asteroid that used to be a fragment of Mars??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:But what about the fossilized microbes found in an asteroid that used to be a fragment of Mars??
The prevailing view nowadays is that the microbes are the results of terrestial contamination...that rock has been sitting in Antartica for millenia, after all.

However, ESA's Beagle 2 probe will be landing on Mars in about a year's time and it will be carrying life-detecting equipment which are more sensitive than those on the Vikings...

KG
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:But what about the fossilized microbes found in an asteroid that used to be a fragment of Mars??
Problems with that are myriad.

A) The meteorite has been on Earth for a bloody long time.

B) The structures are almost much too small to contain much of the machinery of life.

C) Non-biological processes could likely have formed the features too.