Einstein's Riddle?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Cromag
Padawan Learner

Einstein's Riddle?

Post by Cromag »

Okay, it's a good one, and it did take me a few attempts to figure it out, but I don't necessarily buy the idea that it was created by Einstein. Also rather unbelievable was his supposed statement that a full 98% of people wouldn't be able to figure it out. I don't think he was the kind of guy to pull figures out of his arse, nor do I believe he would experiment on something so frivolous to determine an accurate percentage.

The only info regarding its origin date is "during this century", meaning the 20th, naturally. No other source info is given, nor is the 98% figure explained further (eg. only 2% of people in the world? America?).

Anyone have any idea as to whom this should be attributed? If it was indeed Einstein, where/when did he present it?

The Riddle:

The RULES:

There are 5 houses in five different colors
In each house lives a person, each of a different nationality.
These 5 owners drink a certain beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet.
No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage.

The CLUES:

The Brit lives in the Red house.
The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
The Dane Drinks tea.
The Green House is on the left of the White House.
The Green House's owner drinks coffee.
The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
The man in the center house drinks milk.
The Norwegian lives in the first house.
The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats
The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
The German smokes Prince.
The Norwegian lives next to the Blue House.
The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

The QUESTION:

Who owns the fish?

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?" -- Chris Knight, Real Genius
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

German IMO

...unless my rigor is in doubt again...
Cromag
Padawan Learner

Post by Cromag »

Any clue as to its origin?
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?" -- Chris Knight, Real Genius
The Apologist
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by The Apologist »

No one need have fish.
"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

2 Corinthians 10:5
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

AH! feels enlightened.
Cromag
Padawan Learner

Post by Cromag »

The Apologist wrote:No one need have fish.
Your input is not only unhelpful in this case, but it fails to amuse. As well, it suggests that you are/were incapable of actually solving the riddle. There's no shame in asking for help y'know. :P
data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

Cromag wrote:
Your input is not only unhelpful in this case, but it fails to amuse. As well, it suggests that you are/were incapable of actually solving the riddle. There's no shame in asking for help y'know. :P
No, actually he's right. The rules only say that every person has one pet, and that no two owners have the same pet. The clues name only four animals: dogs, cats, birds, and horses. Nowhere in the rules or the clues does it say that anyone owns a fish! The fifth animal could be an iguana as far as we know. The question is trying to trick you into spending rediculous amounts of time solving it when in fact simply paying attention to the precise wording would yeild an instant answer, much like this one:

What is the result of (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)...(x-z)?
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
Cromag
Padawan Learner

Post by Cromag »

data_link wrote:
Cromag wrote:
No, actually he's right. The rules only say that every person has one pet, and that no two owners have the same pet. The clues name only four animals: dogs, cats, birds, and horses. Nowhere in the rules or the clues does it say that anyone owns a fish! The fifth animal could be an iguana as far as we know. The question is trying to trick you into spending rediculous amounts of time solving it when in fact simply paying attention to the precise wording would yeild an instant answer, much like this one:

What is the result of (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)...(x-z)?
Ah, my mistake, and my, er, apologies to The Apologist. Given what I've seen of him thus far, I rather thought he was making some weak allusion to the bread n' fish feeding 500 miracle. :oops:

Anyway, the riddle isn't a trick question, one of the guys does have a fish for a pet. Even if it is a trick question, if you go on the assumption that one of them has a fish, you will find the answer.

Okay, now that we have that out of the way. Does anyone know of the origins of this riddle? :!:
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

It doesn't matter, because it's the German.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Cromag
Padawan Learner

Post by Cromag »

Alferd Packer wrote:It doesn't matter, because it's the German.
Okay, but any info on the origin of this riddle? The only reason I put in the riddle itself was to generate interest in this thing. Not to kvetch or whine, but I notice that since I'm not the most prolific of posters, my input and threads typically get ignored.

Anyway, I'm not so much interested in the answer to the riddle as I am in whether or not Einstein is its actual creator. Anyone? Please? *whine* *plead*
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Had to do this at the beginning of my computer course.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Cromag
Padawan Learner

Post by Cromag »

NecronLord wrote:Had to do this at the beginning of my computer course.
Did they go into detail about the origins of the riddle?
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

The best way to solve riddles like this is to wait ofor someone else to solve it, post the right answer, and claim that it just took you longer to figure it out.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

Who has the fish?

The guy with the fishtank/bowl.

:D
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Cromag wrote:
No and frankly i don't really want to know.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Cromag
Padawan Learner

Post by Cromag »

NecronLord wrote:
Cromag wrote:
No and frankly i don't really want to know.
Was it a bit of a devil to program? :)

C'mon, is it a lack of interest because you just don't think Einstein ever would do something so frivolous and if it wasn't Einstein ya just don't care? Or just no curiosity about these type of things in general? (thus confirming my theory that I can post nothing of significant interest to this forum :? )
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

WOOHOO!!! I GOT IT!! *smiles proudly*

I am so bad at these kinds of things normally. I'm going to PM you my answer so that I don't spoil it for anyone else. :D :D :D Yay!
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Non Catenatum
Padawan Learner

Post by Non Catenatum »

That is taking so long to figure out. Ever made a chart for these riddles? Imagine a chart that goes off the page and almost off a second taped to it. Thats how long this one was. Way too many variables, in my opinion. Its more about who's going to take hours solving a riddle, instead of just writing what the person above you wrote. Who's the smarter one? :wink:
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Somebody should hurry up and invent holographic projection, so I can have a 3D chart :twisted:

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Cromag
Padawan Learner

Post by Cromag »

Zaia wrote:WOOHOO!!! I GOT IT!! *smiles proudly*

I am so bad at these kinds of things normally. I'm going to PM you my answer so that I don't spoil it for anyone else. :D :D :D Yay!
Excellent job, Zaia! :) You got it completely correct, plus you have the (admittedly mundane) honor of sending me my first PM since I been here. :lol:
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

creationistalltheay wrote:That is taking so long to figure out. Ever made a chart for these riddles? Imagine a chart that goes off the page and almost off a second taped to it. Thats how long this one was. Way too many variables, in my opinion. Its more about who's going to take hours solving a riddle, instead of just writing what the person above you wrote. Who's the smarter one? :wink:
You could go that way, but then you don't have the same satisfaction that I have since I solved it alone. *triumphant grin*

EDIT: I sent you your first ever PM?! Wow, that kind of sucks. I'm sorry it was so boring!! :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

So, I just looked around heaps on the internet using a couple different search engines and came back with hundreds and hundreds of websites all about "Einstein's Riddle," but none of them actually cite Einstein as definitely having something to do with it.

One of the sites had this little intro that read: "This is Einstein's riddle, see if you can work it out. Don't worry if u can't, that just mean you are normal, for I believe Einstein is {err, should be 'was?' He be dead} not. He reckons only 2% of the population will get it right."

So, I'm not normal. HURRAH!!! :D

And obviously whoever wrote this wasn't going to solve it since he/she/it wrote 'u' instead of 'you.' Arhg, I hate when people do that!!

Oh, one more thing--a few of the websites said that the '2% of the population' was supposed to mean 'of the world,' but of course there's no official anything, so who knows.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

If I ever get around to seriously attempting this, I'm sure I can get it.
JADAFETWA
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Clears throat, I got it, and trust me I think that a hell of a lot more than 2% will be able to solve this.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

IG-88E wrote:If I ever get around to seriously attempting this, I'm sure I can get it.
I had a fair number of interruptions (one being sleep), but I think my time total was about 30 minutes. Don't know whether that's good or bad, but that's what it was. Apparently some whiz did it in 91 seconds. *folds arms* Harumph.