NUTTIER THAN ALEX CHIU!!!!

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

NUTTIER THAN ALEX CHIU!!!!

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Whats your point?

Though sometimes he does go to lengths to think up convelouted stories to back up his ideas. His theories are as valid as anyone elses. And he does raise points that should be properly investigated.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

argh!
Erich von Däniken is an idiot.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Erich von Däniken, the world's most successful non-fiction writer of all time, has written 26 books on the topic and has sold over 60 million copies worldwide.
Oh, oh that is just wonderful.

*claps*

Bra-fucking-o!
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

personally i think daniken can go overboard on some things, but him and others (namely Graham Hancock) have good reason to question historical "knowledge". I'm not bothering to look at either Erichs site or Grahams tapes but I can say that the dating of the sphinx, for example, has been proven to be atleast 3 thousand years off, if not more (as many as 8 thousand, possibly). Water weathering on the sphinx and enclosure wall prove that it could have only been build well before 5000 BC (which is that 3000 years older date) since after that time there was no appreciable amount of water in the egyptian sky, certainly not enough to actually wear down the sphinx. This also means that the large stone blocks (many of which weigh more then diesel locomotive engine cars) were hewn and built into a temple thousands of years before egypts first dynasty, which would make egyptian civilisation far older then we know.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Yeah, I've read one of his books. He tends to take evidence past the point it can support, but I think he does have a good point about Egyptologists ignoring evidence that doesn't fit in with their pet theories. I dunno, I enjoy reading even the crackpot theories, since they make for an amusing read, as long as they're well-written crackpot theories.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Dark wrote:Yeah, I've read one of his books. He tends to take evidence past the point it can support, but I think he does have a good point about Egyptologists ignoring evidence that doesn't fit in with their pet theories. I dunno, I enjoy reading even the crackpot theories, since they make for an amusing read, as long as they're well-written crackpot theories.
A lot of archaeologists overlook the evidence that doesn't support their pet theories. Which is why quite often those pet theories are torn to shreds within a few months...