What motivates fundamentalists?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

I have met many fundamentalists, and while they often claim to have come from a non-religious background, I have found that upon further investigation, this always turns out to be a lie. There is always a significant religious influence on their early upbringing.
My workplace sometimes hires teenagers part-time. One of these was a fundamentalist who for some bizarre reason decided to latch onto me as his special project. I don't know why. There were several other people who were much more obvious sinners than I, some of them teenagers. Anyway, on a few occasions his mother came in and I spoke to her a little. She was most certainly not a fundamentalist. She seemed more like an alcoholic slut. My guess is that the boy turned to fundamentalism to seek comfort. He did not get it from the home.
Of course, rank stupidity helps too.
Of course it does, but then the vast majority of people are rather stupid.
No, it is brainwashing. No one, even with a desperate desire for faith, is willing to entertain the notion of the Bible being literally true unless they've been indoctrinated to some extent in that particular notion. It is so wildly stupid that no thinking person can possibly accept it unless they've been "prepared".
Sadly, you are wrong. A person is naturally very capable of believing the most idiotic, bizarre, illogical, irrational, immoral garbage without any special "preparation," though maybe you are a little bit right. No thinking person will easily accept Biblical literalism, but thinking takes work. Humans do not have to be taught credulity; we are born with it. It is critical thinking that we must learn and then work at. It is also wildly stupid to believe that aliens from another planet, who just happen to be almost identical to humans, have traveled hundreds or thousands of light years to Earth just to perform experiments on human sexuality and that, despite the genius it would take to create a FTL drive and to remove people right out of their city apartments without anyone else seeing the ship, these aliens cannot figure out how to anesthetize their subjects. Yet, there are many people who believe in alien abductions with no more brainwashing that reading a book or wathing the "Discovery" Channel. Without someone else's guidance, one might not decide that the Bible is true, but one might come up with all manner of bizarre ideas anyway.

You're right that a person needs to be prepared to believe an idea before he will accept it, but it takes only a little superficial preparation. I think you are being to liberal with the term "brainwashing." By your definition, a person raised in a very rational, scientific household is brainwashed into believing in reason. Humans are born largely blank slates, and we learn what is reasonable to believe and what is not. We are all "brainwahed" to accept what our family and culture tell us to believe. A person raised in a skeptical household likely would be inclined to see the Bible as so much humbug, but that would be no less brainwashing than what a liberal Christian receives.
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

A worldview is a way of looking at the world and a belief system is a system of moral conduct. I can be an atheist (which I am not) and still believe in treating people nicely (which I do). Try not to confuse the two.
It seems to me that your use of the term "belief system" is rather limited. I think most people would include more than just moral code in the definition. Atheism is not a belief system, because it is only one basic idea, not a complex system. A religion is a belief system, but most religions are much more than just moral codes. It is a system of beliefs about the nature of the world, and may indeed have little to do with morality.
Myriads? How about the missionaries who were KOS'ed for trespassing in tribal territory? Did they successfully convert the tribes they went out to? And considering that we don't know how far the conversions or what the African belief system was like (they could have just played along for a shiny crucifix is all) you cannot use this as a good example.
Christians have had fair success in East Asia. Korea has a sizable Catholic population. One would not think of Catholicism as being very compatible with Eastern belief systems yet many adults, raised in a culture that can appear to Westerners to be almost atheistic, have somehow been convinced to believe not only in a personal God and His Incarnation, not so very different than Buddhism, but also that this God is three and one, and that the Host becomes the very flesh of Christ, despite that it still looks and tastes like bread. Fundamentalists have also been making many converts in Korea and Japan. Many South American tribes have been converted, and while it is doubtful that they really understand the finer points of Christians theology, many have been taught to read and have accepted that the Bible is true. These are grown men and women, not just children.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

Darth Wong wrote: All Christians are brainwashed to a certain extent (I know this will raise some hackles, but a person who is never exposed to a word about Christianity until he's 30 would never accept any of it). But with fundies, the brainwashing is much stronger, to the point that it impedes their ability to function on an intellectual level.
Everyone who holds an ideological or theological viewpoint of any kind is subject to a little indoctrination; let's not single out one particular religion for that statement. Someone who never heard that killing people is bad until he's 30 probably wouldn't believe it. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a little snippy this afternoon, and I'm not arguing your point Darth Wong, but let's be fair -- any religion or political ideology depends to some extent on distortion, misrepresentation and outright lies in order to win followers at the beginning. Fundies are just the ones who keep perpetuating the lies. It's for that reason that I despise and pity them. I despise the ones who know the truth and won't tell it. I pity the ones who never learn the truth in the first place.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

For Fundies..I say lack of self esteem...the whole Sheep mentality.

The need to belong and the rabid thought that anything disturbing this would somehow hurt you.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete