Good story... to bad it would never happen

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:Yep, that's a real hot-dog-and-a-beer, gets-you-all-choked-up yarn. Real Disney, and probably pure bullshit. But it's nice bullshit, I guess.
Yea, I don't think the point of the story is whether it's true or not.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Nothing, in religion or science, or philosophy . . .is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." -- Charles Fort

"Evolution keeps bumping upward to new levels of creativity and surprise. We're her latest gizmos, her latest toys. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to throw ourselves with all our might and mane into what the universe will do with us or without us--creating new forms, new flows, new ways of being, new ways of seeing." -- Howard Bloom
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

pecker wrote:
Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:Yep, that's a real hot-dog-and-a-beer, gets-you-all-choked-up yarn. Real Disney, and probably pure bullshit. But it's nice bullshit, I guess.
Yea, I don't think the point of the story is whether it's true or not.
Fair enough. Still, parables seem so 2,000 years ago. :P
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

Howedar,

Again, I see what you mean. During my childhood, a friend of mine had a brother who was kinda slow. His name was Davey. But we didn't cut him much slack since he was able to tell if we patronized him. Look, it all comes down to whether the kid is cognizant of what's going on, as Coyote mentioned earlier. Davey even played with us on our baseball team of which my father was coach. Sure, we'd protest a little when Davey would be at bat and darn why can't someoe else bat since we had a runner on third and we can tie the game? My dad would tell us to shut up and play your positions. It was Davey's turn and he was in the lineup. Well, Davey sometimes did surprise us when he would get to first base. Believe me, the other team cut him no slack at all.

Can you be smothered in kindness? Sure. But that's where you have to be judicious in the "bending over backwards" department. After all, at one time or another in your life, someone is going to give you a helping hand.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.