Why, oh why?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Why, oh why?

Post by haas mark »

Do people continue looking for Chick tracts when all it does is cause an overdose of stupidity, thusly killing off the brain cells that hold knowledge? Why do you submit yourself to such torture?
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

What's a Chick tract?
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:What's a Chick tract?
Ach, some of the worst shit ever. A guy named Jack Chick puts out these horrendous cartoons that only a racist fundie would love. He hates just about everybody but his kind of Christians.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Most people are closet maschocists :P
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

I'm pretty out in the open about my masochism... after all, I've publicly admitted watching Voyager in another thread
Zap81
Redshirt

Post by Zap81 »

If people are like me, they read Chick tracts to laugh at them. I mean, I'm a Christian, and I'd be considered a fundie, but Jack Chick is way too over-the-top and fanatical. His tracts go in 3 kinds.

1. Mr Bad person dies and goes to hell, then wishes he had become a Christian.

2. Mr. Bad person repents just before he dies, so he goes to heaven, but Mr. Goodie isn't a Christian and goes to hell.

3. So-and-so teen is saved from the evils of rock and roll and fantasy role playing by a pastor just before something really bad happens.

I'd say Jack Chick is a perfect example of a fanatical fundie.
Uh.............hi
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Ahhh... a Chick Virgin!

(snap.. zzziiipp...)

Y'all gonna squeal like a pig! Check out some of the many links that have been provided and read up. You'll be astonished.

I read them becasue I like to see what we're up against; also to see how many creative ways a person can package one piece of propaganda. Also, if I ever ask, "why do I debate these folks" I read a Chick tract to remind myself of how important it is that we all fight to keep ignorance from eroding our minds...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

http://www.chick.com/catalog/tractlist.asp
Read some.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

In addition to being a fundie moron, the guy's also a shitty storyteller. Nearly all of his non-Christian "villains" are drawn with crazy, snarling faces and spend the entire comic acting like angry lunatics. Jeez, how's about a little subtility? Also, like Zap81 said, the guy just keeps rehashing the same 3 plots.
SeebianWurm
Padawan Learner

Post by SeebianWurm »

What humors me about it all, is that the drawings of his characters are repetitous. There is one character (looks slick, manipulative, "like a rat") that plays the protagonist (I will never call any of those fiends in the tracts the "good guy") every time and always gets his man. Chick tries to use art to show the antagonist as evil, I used to think. Now I realize he just can't draw worth a shit.
[ Ye Olde Coked-Up Werewolf of the Late Knights ]

Fuck fish.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Come'on now, Chick tracks aren't completely worthless. You should stock up on them, that way if you were to ever run out of toilet paper...
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

"Allah Had no Son".

BAH! BAH! And I say for a third fucking time, BAH! Yaweh is Allah! Otherwise, wouldn't the Old Testament NOT be in the Koran?

"Islam is invading America! By 2010 we will have an Islamic flag flying over the White House! Christianity will be crushed!"

Bull. Shit. This guy thinks all Muslims are terrorists.

Dumbass. I'd kick his teeth in if I ever met him. It'd be my Christian duty.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Apparently we MISSED THE POINT.

Formerly verilon

data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

verilon wrote:Apparently we MISSED THE POINT.
Perhaps you would be so kind as to imform us of which point you are referring to?
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

data_link wrote:
verilon wrote:Apparently we MISSED THE POINT.
Perhaps you would be so kind as to imform us of which point you are referring to?
[Why oh why] Do people continue looking for Chick tracts when all it does is cause an overdose of stupidity, thusly killing off the brain cells that hold knowledge? Why do you submit yourself to such torture?

Formerly verilon

data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

Oh. That point. People are training themselves to be resistent to massive stupidity in order to improve their debating performance.
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Plus, they're soooo funny!
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

Ive just spent 2 hours reading those comics.
ROFL :D.
(yes im bored).
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

We read them for a good laugh, at Chick's ignorance and bigotry. I think we should break both of Chick's hands, in case he's ambidextrous. Nah, that won't work. They way they're drawn, he probably broke both of his hands.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:We read them for a good laugh, at Chick's ignorance and bigotry. I think we should break both of Chick's hands, in case he's ambidextrous. Nah, that won't work. They way they're drawn, he probably broke both of his hands.

For the record, Jack Chick doesn't even draw most of them anymore. He has a whole sweatshop of fundie cartoonists doing it for him and has been doing it this way since the 80's.