Future of Fusion

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

kojikun
BANNED

Future of Fusion

Post by kojikun »

When you think of fusion generators, you probably think big donuts that cost billions and running at a few million degrees and cant come anywhere close to breakeven. Or maybe you think of lasers blasting away at a small pea sized bit of frozen deuterium.

But what you probably don't think about is a small sphere with some wire globes inside. But this silly device, which can be made from little more then a TV, some wire, and a fishbowl, can and frequently does achieve fusion. This is the Inertial Electrostatic Confinement fusion generator, aka Farnsworth/Hirsch Fusor. The devices are quite simple and, while they dont achieve breakeven, they do achieve fusion. These rather simple pieces of equipment are actual fusion generators which you can build yourself (just dont because its dangerous).

Opinions?
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

Now where can I find specs for it?
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

If it doesn't reach breakeven, what's the point?
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Everything fusion-based we have does achieve fusion. They just don't achieve that breakeven point. That's the ultimate goal.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Yep... Not much point in using fusion as a power source if it outputs less energy than you put into it :roll:

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
ClaysGhost
Jedi Knight

Post by ClaysGhost »

data_link wrote:If it doesn't reach breakeven, what's the point?
They're great. Portable neutron source on a desk, for which there are quite a few uses. It was also a good piece of applied thinking, since electric fields are easier and nicer to deal with than magnetic fields. The problems, last time I looked, were mainly to do with the grid eventually burning under the plasma.
Evil Sadistic Bastard wrote:Now where can I find specs for it?
Google, probably, although you'll most likely put yourself in line for a Darwin award by contracting radiation poisoning.
(3.13, 1.49, -1.01)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Actually, haven't we reached the breakeven point? IIRC, the problem was that even they generated too little net power to be of any use.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

phongn wrote:Actually, haven't we reached the breakeven point? IIRC, the problem was that even they generated too little net power to be of any use.
We have broken breakeven, not by much and the fact that it was for a few milliseconds doesn't help either. The next gen Tokamak will be started in Canada next year if funding goes ahead, the UK, US and Japan are pouring money into this to the extent that they had better get results soon.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

AFAIK we havent reached breakeven at all, tho i could be wrong.

And one of the main problems with the Fusor is the grid ABSORBING ions. The inner grid has the tendency to block moveing ions. I forget who it was, but someone rather major in scifi (an engineer or something) suggested using a grid made up of solenoids so it generates both an electric field and a magnetic field which would deflect incoming ions around it preventing them from impacting the grid thusly increasing efficiency.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I stand corrected, we have achieved breakeven in the JET
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

been hanging around the Fusor BBS eh Koji?

I do have to hand it to the JET guys... but lets see them try to maintain their reactor at better than breakeven (or even sub-break) levels for more than a few (less than 10) minutes. Fusors routinely operate into the 10's of minutes while doing fusion, and the main reason they arent as far along as tok's wrt output is a simple matter of $ and politics... just like with spaceflight and so many other areas of endeavour.
panty-stealing military mecha maniac
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Thread moved.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Has anyone heard how NSTX or MAST are doing? Those two seemed to have some potential, but I haven't heard any updates since March.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore