American Antigravity

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

American Antigravity

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

http://www.americanantigravity.com/ Is this for real or are they crackp0ts? I'd like to hope they're real :)
Image Image
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I saw that site once. Looked interesting. Dunno if its real or fake. I could believe that its real, although I'm by no means certian.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

They're real. Real crackpots, but they are real. :roll:
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

data_link wrote:They're real. Real crackpots, but they are real. :roll:
Looks fun though. But you'd need a LOT of power to get a human into the air, so much so that the resulting generator/battery would be too unwieldy.
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

The American Antigravity CD-Rom contains over 250 megabytes of research, video clips, and graphics for only $29.99!
Interested in building and testing Lifter technology? Visit the archives for step-by-step safety, construction, and testing guides.
Kinda hard to retain credibility after that.....

But really, if this was real, it would have had alot more news coverage.

Plus, I don't think they'd be using Yahoo Groups......
Last edited by Temjin on 2002-11-29 12:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Antigravity; the old crackpots' assertion.

There are some who will even tell you that the B2 bomber uses antigravity technology to get the kind of long-range performance and high fuel efficiency that it does. -But ask them to compare lift / drag ratios of 'normal' aircraft to flying wings and they go all blank.

There are always more plausible answers.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

It sounds like a valid idea (hm... I wonder if I should try the "styrofoam capacitor" trick...), but it's definately not going to be practical until we can make a fusion generator fit into a backpack.

I believe somewhere it was mentioned that calling that "antigravity" is a misnomer, since it has nothing to do with gravity and everything to do with electromagnetics.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

From the pictures on the main page I think I know what they're on about, not anti-gravity, but ion propuslion. Basically a large current is passed throught the 'rig' (and by large I mean a big fuck off one!), the air immediately around the 'rig' becomes ionised, then it is 'pushed' downwards (due to a magnetic field that is created by the current), which in turn pushes the 'rig' upwards.

This stuff is close to 40 years old!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Cthulhu-chan
Padawan Learner

Post by Cthulhu-chan »

Actually, if'n you go here, you'll fine some independent research on the subject.

http://jnaudin.free.fr/

He's done quite a bit of calculations on this, and while ion wind is having an effect, it cannot account for the majority of the force created. Also, some limited vacuum chamber experiments have been done that show the apparatus will work independant of an atmosphere, though it does loose the ion wind effect. Even further, the device was used submerged in mineral oil. WACKY!
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Youll also find that the Army Research Lab concluded that the lifters cannot possibly be ion propulsion because the thrust provided is a few tends of times too large. JLN also has stuff on PFTs which simply cannot be ion propulsion for two reasons: the first is that the capacitors movement is along the length of two parallel plates, perpedicular to any ion movement, the second is that its been tested covered in a plastic bag and the thing still moves. anyone knows that it should just inflate the bag if it were ion wind and not move, but it did move, without inflating the bag.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I saw this thing a couple months ago...aired on a paranormal radio show. Quite funky.

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: American Antigravity

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:http://www.americanantigravity.com/ Is this for real or are they crackp0ts? I'd like to hope they're real :)
It's a cute (though highly dangerous) electrostatic toy. (Kilovolts of electricity are not good for your health.) Those "lifters" are barely capable of lifting their own weight, much less any payload (they seem quite impressed that they can lift a whole pound of payload off the ground.)
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

I tried the link but my browser crashed.

Anyway, I did see once on TV about some science guys who were trying to get either anti-gravity or artificial gravity. It involved a massive electric generator with a huge magnetic circle, with a small hole in the middle (about fist-sized) and they put things in it and they floated. The biggest thing they made float was a tiny tiny mouse or some other similar animal, and they used enormous amounts of power.

Did they actually nullify gravity? I don't know. I suspect that they only got a magnetic field strong enough to repel non-metallic objects, but if there was actually no gravity the thingy in the middle would have drifted, not remained wobbling in the middle. Anyway I think it sucked.
Cthulhu-chan
Padawan Learner

Post by Cthulhu-chan »

T TERWYNN: Just how is it so dangerous? The monitor you're using right now uses just as much juice, and is in fact what many are using to power these devices. Also, they are quite capable of lifting their own weight as well as roughly 100% of that as payload. The fact that this is possible with some jury-rigged copper wire and tinfoil, is rather impressive. The fact that it apparently does not require a medium to operate is VERY promising. Sure it uses a lot of power, but compared with what you can achieve with just the ion-wind effect using the same amount of power, the results are orders of magnitude better.

There are already those looking in to more efficient materials and even designing solid-state versions of these devices. Fortunately, the effect appears to behave linearly. Unfortunately, no-one knows how the fuck it works at all. The general concensus is pretty strong against anti-gravity, rather it appears to be a net force due to the electromagnetic interaction of asymetrical capacitors. One has to wonder why there doesn't seem to be any scientists crawling all over this, crowing in delight...
ClaysGhost
Jedi Knight

Post by ClaysGhost »

Slartibartfast wrote: Anyway, I did see once on TV about some science guys who were trying to get either anti-gravity or artificial gravity. It involved a massive electric generator with a huge magnetic circle, with a small hole in the middle (about fist-sized) and they put things in it and they floated. The biggest thing they made float was a tiny tiny mouse or some other similar animal, and they used enormous amounts of power.

Did they actually nullify gravity? I don't know. I suspect that they only got a magnetic field strong enough to repel non-metallic objects, but if there was actually no gravity the thingy in the middle would have drifted, not remained wobbling in the middle. Anyway I think it sucked.
I think it's the guys who were going on about diamagnetism. They famously made a frog float. The effect is just magnetic, and uses a lot of power because it's quite weak. They made the mouse partly magnetic by applying a righteously big magnetic field, which tends to make even non-magnetic materials develop magnetic dipole moments. It's analogous to polarising dielectrics using strong electric fields.

I think they got a (joke!) letter from a "preacher", who wanted to levitate himself in front of his flock. It's on the web somewhere.
(3.13, 1.49, -1.01)