Human-mouse hybrids

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Ewo
Youngling

Human-mouse hybrids

Post by Ewo »

I was reading today in the paper that stem cells added to some mice have helped them to produce some human cells, embryonic cells. Now I know that they are already growing body parts such as ears and things on mice to attach to humans who have defects or accidents. But having a mouse with the potential to create a baby is weird. Technically right now it would be a clone, but it could go further. When I tried to check it out further online, I was having trouble finding a good news article on it. Has anyone heard about this and can you lead me to the info?
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No wait, not me, you... Jack Handey Deep thought
That was a stupid thing to say and you are stupid for saying it!
"It's rude enough being alive when nobody wants you" Shrek
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

I believe the results of the first experiment was an anthropomorphized mouse which traveled on its hind legs and had opposable thumbs. Amazingly the mouse also developed increased strength in its legs to move at much faster speeds. Vocal cords and tongue development also resulted in the ability to speak, but unfortunately most of the time it only says "Andale, andale, arriba, arriba, yepa, yepa!"
Chuck

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

What it didn't have incomparable strength and fly away from it's captors :P ?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

I thought it was a black bipedal organism with huge ears and a penchance for going topless and hanging out with ducks.
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

A Human Mouse? Would it look like a Sullestian?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

you;re all wrong! the first human-mouse hybrid was created years ago by a scientist named Walt Disney--its name was Mickey!
I'll swallow your soul!
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Pinky and Brain?
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

zombie84 wrote:you;re all wrong! the first human-mouse hybrid was created years ago by a scientist named Walt Disney--its name was Mickey!
Which is what I was talking about.
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Evil Sadistic Bastard wrote:
zombie84 wrote:you;re all wrong! the first human-mouse hybrid was created years ago by a scientist named Walt Disney--its name was Mickey!
Which is what I was talking about.
yes, but "bipedal" is a difficult word to understand...
Ewo
Youngling

Post by Ewo »

Ugh! It is a real story but all I can get is the lead paragraph on NY times because you have to pay like $3 to get it but here goes...Stem Cell Mixing May Form A Human-Mouse Hybrid
A group of American and Canadian biologists is debating whether to recommend stem cell experiments that would involve creating a human-mouse hybrid.

The goal would be to test different lines of human embryonic stem cells for their quality and potential usefulness in treating specific diseases. The best way to do that, some biologists argue, is to see how the cells work in a living animal. For ethical reasons, the test cannot be performed in people
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No wait, not me, you... Jack Handey Deep thought
That was a stupid thing to say and you are stupid for saying it!
"It's rude enough being alive when nobody wants you" Shrek
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

"More human than human is our motto."

and so it begins....
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Sonnenburg wrote:I believe the results of the first experiment was an anthropomorphized mouse which traveled on its hind legs and had opposable thumbs. Amazingly the mouse also developed increased strength in its legs to move at much faster speeds. Vocal cords and tongue development also resulted in the ability to speak, but unfortunately most of the time it only says "Andale, andale, arriba, arriba, yepa, yepa!"

:lol: Speedy Gonzles. :lol:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

OK, I don't think we're talking literal human-mouse hybrid. We're talking using a lab mouse to grow stem cells. The cells themselves would be completely human, but it would be inside a mouse uterus.

The embryo will not be biologically viable, BTW, but the stem cells can be harvested for medical and research purposes. Their just using a mouse to avoid harvesting a viable embryo from a woman.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling