Units for formula

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Supreme_Warlord
Youngling
Location: East Ham, London, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Units for formula

Post by Supreme_Warlord »

Hi,
I am in the process of doing some calculations using Einstein's E=mc^2 forumla. For anyone who knows, please can you tell me the units to use for m and c to get E in J.

Thanks.
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

They are not set, in fact it is often useful to assign a value in which c equals 1. But should one take the following values:

M = grams
C = Speed of Light in centimetres per second

Then

E = Ergs
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Re: Units for formula

Post by Graeme Dice »

Supreme_Warlord wrote:Hi,
I am in the process of doing some calculations using Einstein's E=mc^2 forumla. For anyone who knows, please can you tell me the units to use for m and c to get E in J.

Thanks.
If you want answers in physics to be in Joules, then the standard usually is to use metres, kilograms, and seconds in your units. In the case of E=mc^2, the mass is in kilograms, and c is in metres per second to give you the result in J.
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

:D

I think our friend here can covert units well enough, since 1 joule equals to ten to the power of seven ergs.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

With the formula, the energy released by 1 kg of mass converted into pure energy is 9E16J.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

The standard unit for mass in physics is the kilogram (kg). The standard unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

Put those units in E = m(c^2), and you get...

E = kg•(m^2)/(s^2)

The Joule is defined as a Newton-meter (W = Fd, E_k = (1/2)mv^2, et cetera). A Newton is kg•(m/s^2) (F = ma). So, multiplying Newton by a meter gives us Joules.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion