Alchemy

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Alchemy

Post by Peregrin Toker »

I have heard that alchemy, the medieval pursuit of transforming lead to gold, was pseudo-science. (I think the Civilopedia in Civilization II describes Alchemy as pseudoscience under its entry for Metallurgy)

However, can alchemy really be called pseudoscience if pseudoscience is the same as defined on Stardestroyer.net's science page.... or can it??[/i]
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

The alchmeists didn't base alchemy on real science, and therefore, it's pseudoscience.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

While some alchemists made appreciable gains in knowledge of chemistry, the reality is that most of them were either frauds who would deceive people into thinking that they had made gold, or people who acted like they were baking cakes instead of making gold. They would write up recipes that would involve times of day or "under a full moon," or try to use materials which were considered magical (some of which never actually existed, in the first place). Most alchemists were clearly pseudoscientists.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."

There was lots of pseudoscience in mideval times. Soe of the greatest things ot come out of the era weren't at all "magic", such as the printing press.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:There was lots of pseudoscience in mideval times. Soe of the greatest things ot come out of the era weren't at all "magic", such as the printing press.
I agree completely. Early paleontology was also a pseudoscience. Fossils were often written off as the remains of dragons, or griffins, or other fantastic beasts.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Wasn't some of 's research on things like twins pseudoscience?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Wasn't some of 's research on things like twins pseudoscience?
Yeah, but that kind of thing continued well beyond the middle ages. In Nazi Germany there were lots of doctors who were doing experiments on twins, but they didn't stop at identical twins. They also experimented on some sets that appeared completely different, and some that were even of different genders! Sometimes they were even willing to take siblings who had as much as a year or two between their births, and wrote them up as being the next best thing to twins! I wasn't going to go into that stuff, but since you brought it up....

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Alchemy sounds cooler than Chemistry so Alchemy wins.

When I grow up, I want to be an Alchemist!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Shadowfyre
Redshirt

Post by Shadowfyre »

Nevermind gold...I want to learn how to transfom lead into a nugget...er...splat of pure GREEN! 8) :lol:
...Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night...
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Shadowfyre wrote:Nevermind gold...I want to learn how to transfom lead into a nugget...er...splat of pure GREEN! 8) :lol:
Believe it or not, Harry Potter was actually more accurate than years of text books. Alchemy was more concerned with the creation of the PHILOSOPHER'S stone (as opposed to Harry Potter's Sorcerer's Stone). It was reputed to have the properties of both extending life and turning base metals into gold.

BTW, the I have heard that the Chinese thought it was cinnabar (mercury oxide), but that does not appear to make sense. The Chinese were aware that mercury was poisonous, but also that it had the effect of preserving corpses from bacteria. Also, my source on this was a professor who was telling me of the First Emperor of China (Shi Huangdi, by his spelling and name). He told me that the man consumed cinnabar in the insane belief that it would make him immortal. This did not appear to be sensical, as the same professor later told me that Shi Huangdi had constructed a tomb for himself.