Wouldn't it be nice...

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

Shinova wrote:Why are people here so worked up about fundies? If they're stupid, let them dig their own graves. They don't need our help in doing that.

I honestly think fundies pose too small of a threat. More like a source of embarrassment rather than something to kill. And if they did acquire power, they'd lose it so quickly that a Culture Mind would say, "What the hell just happened??". Fundies wanting to return to the old ways in a highly science-driven world...how are they anything but a source of embarrassment?

Just let them be. Making them look more and more like idiots...they do this all on their own.
You'd be surprised - I think that any group with enough power to pass a law that is direct violation of the 14th amendment in multiple states represents a big problem.
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Show me a method of deconverting fundies that is both reliable and can be realistically implemented on a large scale.
Brainwashing

But slaughtering for a reason is okay but killing for sport is bad?

Killing is killing...no reason makes it good, at times it is used to cement a position or deliver a message but in the end it's taking anopther's life just so one's way of life can proceed...it's the ultimate act of superiority...and killing over beliefs is no better than what we did during the Crusades.

You asked for realistic and honestly neither are realistic since neither of us hold any true power to implement either of these tactics.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Show me a method of deconverting fundies that is both reliable and can be realistically implemented on a large scale.
Brainwashing

But slaughtering for a reason is okay but killing for sport is bad?

Killing is killing...no reason makes it good, at times it is used to cement a position or deliver a message but in the end it's taking anopther's life just so one's way of life can proceed...it's the ultimate act of superiority...and killing over beliefs is no better than what we did during the Crusades.

You asked for realistic and honestly neither are realistic since neither of us hold any true power to implement either of these tactics.
You're right - neither of us has any real power. I just happen to find that killing which accomplishes something useful - even if with more time and patience it could have been accomplished without killing - less immoral than simply killing for the sake of killing. If that means that I regard Stalin as less immoral than the people in the cartoon then so be it.
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Ghost Rider wrote: Brainwashing
When used on fundies its called deprogramming.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Then that's our beliefs and let it be

I don't agree with killing, you agree that killing should be done in a fashion to better man.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete